Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy auto and big tyres?

Phizinza

Ok.. So I'm looking at replacing my

with a Liberty (Legacy). I was thinking of possibly getting an auto... I'm usually not into automatics, but I was thinking it might work better at the speeds I race at along with bigger tyres..

See I plan to lift it 6 or so inchs, and fit 31's to 33's on it. With a manual I can get a D/R gearbox and run a 4.11 diff, but I'm still thinking at 10 to 40kph racing speeds an auto might work ok and would remove the whole needing to change gears thing!

So my questions are, can the 4sp auto hold up to running much larger tyres like this while being hammered around a track like I race on (motocross for 4wd's is how I usually explain it). And also will it work well at 10 to 40kph racing speeds, at rpm's like 4000 to 6000...?

I always heard that the legacies even with the EJ in there doesn't like to spin 30"+ tires with a single range.but thats just what Ive heard.Ive also heard that a 4EAT is a decent transmission...

*both rumors may be heresy and should be treated as such*

Put an auxillary oil-to-air cooler in the tranny cooler lines and they will hold up fine.

You can also manually control the duty c soleniod to lock 4wd, or 2wd if you need to slide the front end sideways.

It's a good tranny. Some came with pretty low ratios too.