Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81 thermostat weirdness?

I have an ea81 in my GL. When I start driving it will warm up until the temp gauge goes into the middle, right where you'd expect it. And the heat is nice and warm. Then after about a minute it will drop down to about 1/3 on the temp gauge and stay there. (sometimes it won't even go up to half, just stop at 1/3). If I let it sit and idle it will warm up to the middle, then the fan will come on.

To me, this sounds like the thermostat is working until it heats up (sometime), but once warm it never closes again. Is this thinking correct?

Make sure and get the thermostat gasket too from the dealer.

That's a good point - they sell them individually or as a set with the gasket. The thermostat itself is the same for EA or EJ so all dealers carry them. The gasket they may not have depending on the dealer. But they should be able to get it within a work day.

GD

Cool! thanks for the help. I didn't realize it was the same thermostat, so probably more or less the same procedure to replace.

Thanks for the heads up on the gasket, the dealer nearest me is somewhat pathetic, so I doubt they have it in stock. I'll give you all an update when I get the new bits installed and see how it works!

No the EA81's thermostat is on the top of the engine. Follow the upper radiator hose to where it meets the manifold. It has two bolts and inside the cover is the thermostat. Remember, the Subaru gasket does not require any additional goo such as RTV material, just throw it on as is.

I feel like a real dunce for not going out and looking at it more closely ... I was just assuming the thermostat was on the bottom because I was thinking EJ... And we all know what happens when you assume ... Looks wicked easy to change out with it right there on top! haha.

Thanks for the help :)

Just so you know, you have an EA81, but it's an EA82 F.I. intake on it. The thermostats are the same, but I just figured I'd let you know!!

I know it's the FI from the ea82, but I didn't realize it also had the thermostat from the ea82. Is it the same thermostat gasket?