Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to fix hole in hood...

I inherited a big dumb square hole cut in the hood of the RX... the hole was bad enough, but it was also crooked with mondo screw holes in the open...

Some time waaaay back I traded Subaruguru for a schkoop and figured I'd eventually get around to doing something with it.

Well, here goes nothin'. I had to narrow it 4 1/4" to fit the cowl. I cut 2 1/8" on either side of center on the inner liner. I kept the 'T' that was cut out to use as a doubler as it already had the countour. Scuffed, clamped and epoxied with aircraft epoxy (ATACS). I have it centered to hide the majority of the exisitng hole...

the big dumb screw holes? I'll put a nice button head screws in them, the theory is that a hole with a screw in it looks less weird than open holes... if anybody asks they'll become "vortex generators" to disturb the "laminar hood flow".

(Top that sarcasm :) )

Tomorrow I'll narrow the cover plate and TRY to not do something anti-pretty, but it can't be much more ugly than a rough cut rusty hole on a white hood.

post-27810-136027640316_thumb.jpg

post-27810-136027640323_thumb.jpg

post-27810-13602764033_thumb.jpg

post-27810-136027640336_thumb.jpg

post-27810-136027640344_thumb.jpg

You could use extra windshield washer spray jets to cover the holes on the outside and plumb the center one forward for some summertime fun at the beach.:lol:

I like it! How about all three to the left for people that don't dim their hi-beams?

I'm 90% happy with the scoop and the plugged holes, it's not perfect, but I was able to do it with stuff on hand and it looks a ton better than a smoking rust hole in the hood. I still need to sand and paint my seam, but it'll do for now.

post-27810-136027640355_thumb.jpg