Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need help in the worst way. I have a 96 2.2 litre Impreza that I brought to a local japanese auto service centre because the car would crank but not fire. Originally the crankshaft wheel fell off and the guy replaced it. Long story short, he got it running. I paid him and drove it away. It drove all day and night with no problems.

I didn't do any squirreling and didnt do a super long trip that do. No more than about 50 miles.

I get home that night and park it and go to bed. Throughout the day NO SYMPTOMS AT ALL. Drove like a dream. It was wonderful.

Next morning, car is doing the same freaking thing. It just cranks.

When this happened the first time I had checked spark from the ignition coil and I was getting spark.

But now I'm not. So I need any ideas whatsoever to test, please. This is my only reliable method of transport and I'm supposed to see my daughter soon.

-Do you guys know if the ignitor is separate in this motor or if it's combined with the ignition coil?

-Should I get a new coil?

-Could it be the cam sensor?

-And it can't be the crank sensor as I bought a brand new one the first time this happened as we thought it was the culprit.

Thanks in advance guys.

Oh right right. Mass air flow. My bad.

Hit it? With a wrench or something?

Like while someone is trying to crank?

Or slam it and then crank?

Its a 2.2 litre automatic. Its a '96 Impreza.

I guess you could use a wrench but don't break it lol. Maybe try first hitting with your hand, then trying to crank.

Back to basics!

Is the check engine light on? If so get the codes read out and let us know what they are.

Since the crank shaft pulley came off, there may have been some damage to the crank sensor or the key that keeps the gear aligned on the shaft.

Also make sure the pulley bolt is to 125 ft lbs.

Are you getting Spark now? If not the computer is most likely not getting the inputs it needs to run.

Yeah check engine light is on. I'm running reader tomorrow.

I replaced the crank sensor with a brand new one and the mechanic

fixed the key.

So yeah, I put a nail in the boot plug and grounded it 1/4" away

From some metal and cranked and got not a single arc. I tested

All 4 plugs. And again to my ignitor question.

Are you sure its separate from the coil? Cause like I said,

Parts stores around here don't carry anything labled ignitor.

And also, how do I test the ignitor if it is indeed separate.

I'm sorry to ask so many questions. But I really wanna learn all I can about this car.

Thanks again for being so helpful thus far guys and gals.

when my ej swapped coupe stopped getting spark it was the coil pack strange thing is the engine is out of a 1996 impreza if you have an DVM,DOM there is a way to check it i think if you end up needing one i have a feew good ones every time i can i pull them from yards good part to have for spare.

Rob

Hmmm well if its NOT the coil and you replaced the crank angle sensor thats the one on the FRONT of the motor the one on the Rear next to the bell housing is the knock sensor and there is a cam sensor on the drivers side cam case IIRC that runs the fule. I dont think the MAF really has much to do with spark the only thing i can think it might be is a bad conection between the Crank angle sensor and the harness.

Rob

Yeah the crank position sensor on the front of the motor, but not the cam

sensor on the driver side is what I replaced.

I tried a few whacks on the MAF a few mins ago, with my hand, and cranked and still

no ignition.

Ill test the coil tomorrow morning and report back. Btw, I see a sensor looking

thing against the firewall. I would assume that to be the ignitor.

is it that? Better yet, ill take a photo tomorrow and upload.

Cause if its that, then A) how do I test it and B) if it needs replaced, what is the part

called? Cause as I noted, autozone has no inventory of a piece by that name.

They call it an Ignition Module. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/parts/partsShelf.jsp?categoryDisplayName=Electrical+%26+Lighting&fromType=parts&fromString=search&parentId=57-0&currentPage=1&filterByKeyWord=ignition+module&isSearchByPartNumber=false&navValue=15700029&categoryNValue=15799999&fromWhere=&itemId=29-0&displayName=Control+Module+-+Ignition&searchText=ignition+module

And you're better off to grab one from a junkyard than pay for a new one.

Question. Have you removed the timing belt cover (either side) and checked that the belt is in tact and is turning while the engine is cranking?

try giving the cam sensor a wiggle. i had this problem and that is what i had to do to get it to start.

i had a 95 that had trouble starting, and i suspected the engine temp sensor.

cam sensor or engine temp sensor, i bet.

And you're better off to grab one from a junkyard than pay for a new one.

Question. Have you removed the timing belt cover (either side) and checked that the belt is in tact and is turning while the engine is cranking?

used is a much better option especially since you are not sure that is in fact the problem.

but since this problem started with a timing issue, i'd look there first. the belt could have slipped again.

remove the crank pulley, should be easy since it was just off, and timing covers and check all 3 timing marks. if they are all ok then move on.

timing belt is secure and where it should be. cam sensor and crank sensor are golden. I plugged in my obd2 and pulled the following code:

P0355

I lost my book for the reader >.< but read online just a minute ago that a code in the P03XX range points to possibly the coil?

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Sorry. The code is P0335.

I switched between my original coil pack and one i picked up from a junkyard a month ago and both give the same code and the car still just cranks. No firing.

My buddy thinks is the starter. What say you subie aficionados?

Edited by Gutterboy

hmm i double check the code

P0335

online and called around to mechanics and a couple auto stores especially auto zone and they said it sounds like CKP

so crank sensor? that's weird cause i JUST bought a new one about 3 weeks ago.

thoughts? cause right now i'm calling around to find a place to test my CKP and the ignition control module.

Sorry. The code is P0335.

My buddy thinks is the starter. What say you subie aficionados?

According to the list I'm looking at, P0335 is "Crankshaft Position Sensor circuit malfunction." Check the connections, maybe try a different sensor.

If the engine is cranking over it wouldn't be the starter!