Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New front bumper

Uberoo

My rear diff no longer differentiates..:banana:Took it all apart and welded it with a stick welder,at a bajaion amps.It was an old school welder but it was hot enough to melt the teeth right into the weld,So that has to be good..That and after I welded the spiders together I jammed a plate in there so it was touching all four spiders,on both sides,then burned those in there as well.It should hold pretty good.

BTW it turns out the diff really was broke.Two teeth somehow got sheered off one of the spiders..

other than having a oil pan explode in my face(I'm fine,scared the hell out of me though).it all worked pretty good.Now I need to somehow get the axles broken loose from the diff so I can pull an axle for the street.

That and I also built a front bumper and a new radiator support bar.Pics latter today.

Edited by Uberoo

I've ruined 2 rear sets of spiders. AFAIK its from being off camber to the point that you've got one front and one rear tire spinning, then either rocking it back and forth or doin the 1st/reverse shuffle and spinnin them gears like crazy in there. Also, both times I've don that I also suspect h2o had something to do with it, I had a little milkshake each time.

So I took some pics of stuff.No pics of the welded diff because a welded diff looks about the same,no matter how you do it,Lots of Molten metal goodness!

The bumper is made out of 3/16 angle iron.Never measured how big it is just picked it up from a buddies scrap pile and threw it on.It actually was the right size and no cutting was needed to size it correctly.However I still need to bevel the corners for better clearance to the tires.That and weld some D rings onto it.It is connected to the car with 2" C channel about 3/16" thick.That goes into the "frame" 24" with 3 7/16" bolts on each side holding it on.Its plenty sturdy.I was also able to modify my front fans to tuck them in closer so the bumper is pretty close to the body.

radiator support is a piece of 1 1/2 or 2" thick wall square tubing also donated from my buddies scrap pile.Its welded to the body and the factory front tow points are bent inward to further strengthen it,Then they were welded to the square tubing.

Then finally when I put the EA82 front suspension on I lengthened my stock EA81 tie rods.The Ea81 tie rods are bigger in diameter than the EA82 ones.So I ground out the TOP of the steering knuckle so they would fit.Then to take care of the small beveled hole at the bottom I jammed a couple small lock washers in there to take up the slack.Benefits- tie rods are at less severe angle at normal ride hight and all other suspension positions,resulting in less bump steer.

post-18483-136027640532_thumb.jpg

post-18483-13602764054_thumb.jpg

post-18483-136027640548_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uberoo