Ultimate Subaru Message Board

coolant leaking from header?

I noticed I had a coolant leak the other day and decided to investigate. Its leaking aroung the exhaust manifold port.???? I have pictures to prove it. My car is a 1992 lotale with the infamous ea82 lol. Any help us appreciated this my only means of transportation as my civic is waiting for its rebuilt turbo. Thanks. John.

That's typical of a cracked head - very uncommon on the non-turbo's though. Bad intake manifold gaskets could be leaking coolant into the cylinders but it doesn't usually leak out the exhaust like that - it generally is burned.

Make sure it's not leaking coolant from the spark plug well drains or from the water pump and running down to that area.

GD

I had the EXACT same thing... it turned out to be a pin hole, casting inclusion or? .... not saying it couldn't be cracked but regardles.... you need to be on the "wanted section" and looking for a new head & get a new Felpro head gasket...

My pin hole was found on the seal area on the exhaust gasket where the exhaust pipe bolts too... so I would see a trickle of coolant coming out from around the flange adapter.... it may be possible to use an expanding metal epoxy pushed up into the hole but I just tossed the head and didn't want the fight of an unwinable battle... but you never know.

Edited by Indrid cold

Make sure it's not leaking coolant from the spark plug well drains or from the water pump and running down to that area.

GD

+1

It is not common for Non-turbo motors to crack this way.......and then for it to drip out of the exhaust pipe somehow? Not that it couldn't happen, but I would be looking for leaks at the Waterpump, waterpump O-ring, heater hose, or throttle body hoses (the little ones)

Rule out that.

and if it's still dripping..... unbolt the exhaust and look for this

CleanCrack2edit.jpg

could be a water pump leak or an intake manifold leak.

the water pump will leak out of the weep hole behind the pulley or the water pipe o-ring where it goes in the side of the pump. usually these leaks run down the front of the engine and drip off the exhaust.

an intake leak will puddle up on the top of the block in one of the spark plug holes and drain out the back of the head.

i would suspect these 2 ideas before going into cracked heads.

can we see your pics?

• 6 months later...
update from forever ago haha. i bought some "headgasket sealent" and ran it through my coolant system, and it sealed my coolant leak!

ugh.......that will work for a while.

Then the first hot day you'll overheat cause now your radiator is full of "sealant"

Funny how people ask for advice on a forum and then don't listen to answers

ugh.......that will work for a while.

Then the first hot day you'll overheat cause now your radiator is full of "sealant"

Funny how people ask for advice on a forum and then don't listen to answers

actually i flushed it after it sealed. and it got 95+ the next week and i had no problems witth it.

My Gen 2 Brat is sitting with the exhaust manifold off while i am doing a 5 speed swap into it. While I was removing the clutch pressure plate the crank shaft turned and some coolant came out of the #2 exhaust port. I can see exactly where it came out. Since the engine has been sitting, is this likely a seeping gasket leak (headgasket or other)? I am doing things "properly" with this car, so should I do a full gasket set, a full gasket set AND a new head or just toss the EA82 for another that doesn't have any issues?

Thanks

Right, EA81.

It's more than "some" coolant. Turn the engine over and at least 2 tablespoons of coolant came out of the exhaust port. I did a compression test when it was running well and it came out pretty good, ~135psi for that cylinder.