Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello one and all,

My wife and I are on our third Subaru Outback Legacy and have loved them all, but the current one is very sick.

its a 1997 Subaru Outback Legacy and an Automatic. Its has headgasket issues, and should have a time belt change, but the bigger buggaboo is the propeller shaft needs to be replaced. Its one of those things that the part cost is so expensive, but not much on the labor.

I am in the Dallas area and haven't been very good at finding Subarus in general. If I was on a coast it would be different, but so it goes.

My idea is to buy a 1997 that is running and in good shape, and either slowly work on the other one or use it as a parts car. But of course Subarus aren't real common here, let along trying to find one particular year and model.

And what I can't find is if say, 1998 or 1999 has the same propeller shafts, or if its a range, say from 1996 to 2001 its the same transmission and drive train etc.

I am not very car savvy but have done a lot of tinkering through the years, but don't have the ability to find this information out, so I wanted to turn to the experts.........all you guys!!!

And if I don't have all the info and you need more such as an engine type or such please let me know and I will get that to you, and of course any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

All the best!

What are you referring to as the propeller shafts? Do you mean the output shafts that the front axles attach to or are you talking about the the rear output shaft for the rear driveshaft. All of these are sourcable from board members and you can use ones from 96 thru 99 and maybe even others. Those years I am certain of.

My queation is, what happened to the shafts that they need to be replaced? If there is damage where they go into the tranny, then you probably have damage internal to the tranny.

More info please so we can properly guide you.

What are you referring to as the propeller shafts? Do you mean the output shafts that the front axles attach to or are you talking about the the rear output shaft for the rear driveshaft. All of these are sourcable from board members and you can use ones from 96 thru 99 and maybe even others. Those years I am certain of.

My queation is, what happened to the shafts that they need to be replaced? If there is damage where they go into the tranny, then you probably have damage internal to the tranny.

More info please so we can properly guide you.

The prop shaft is the driveshaft. Only one of those and yes it is expensive as hell for a new one. Junkyards are your best bet.

For a reference of which cars have the shaft you need. http://opposedforces.com/parts/

Open the parts catalog and pick which car you have. The prop shaft is listed under the "train" section, click that and scroll down til you find the number for the prop shaft in the picture. Click that link and it will have another link that says Usage information. That will show you all the cars and what years that have that part so you know what to look for.

You can also go to Car-part.com and search for local junkyards that might have the part you need. It can send them an email for you and if any have it they'll send you one back with info.

the rear section of drive shaft is common to legacys, outbacks, GTs, LSis, manual and auto trans. any differences in the over all length between the rear diff and the trans is made up in the front section of drive shaft, between the trans and the carrier bearing.

the front section of drive shaft should be the same for auto trans, manual trans would be different.

I may be parting one out. It is a 97 outback and an automatic. If that fits the bill for your car let me know and we can work something out.

I will know if I am resurrecting the car later this week, so we can talk about it some more then.

PM me if you are interested.

yikes....ok, I had a Subaru dealer look at it and my local guy and they both said, "The propeller shaft" it was because the U-joints are failing and they both said on that shaft the U-joints can't be replaced.

Does that help? lol

I am told they are only sold by Subaru, (costing roughly $850) and of course junk dealers, but the thing is being in the Dallas area, there aren't many Subarus around to be junked. If it was a Ford F series truck I would be in business! lol....

And what I am ideally going to do is buy a car that has enough identical parts that my current car, the 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback will become the parts car for the new one I buy. New as in new to me, obviously it will be a used/older car. I just want to make sure I get a car that can have the major systems used, such as the propeller shaft, etc.

If I find a good parts car yes I would grab that and rebuild my current car, but I just don't know enough to make sure I look at the right years and models.

I am assuming there has been changes to the drive/propeller shafts over the years, or whatever they hook into on either end of the shaft, and just am hoping that perhaps a 2000 or 2001 or so might be interchangeable enough.

I do presume the huge things as this is an automatic, I shouldn't even consider manual transmissions.

Thanks for the guidance so far, I will keep you all updated and any additional info you need to help I will do what I can to get it to you....

Thanks again...

There is a difference between the manual and automatic, but it is in the front half of the shaft. If the u joints are only bad in the rear half, then you can replace that part and leave the front alone. Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Remove the shaft and take it to an actual driveline shop. The u-joints *can* be replaced but it takes a bit more work than normal u-joints. They are staked in and to remove them the stake's must be ground back so the joints can be taken out. Then a "staked u-joint replacement kit" can be installed and new joints that are actually serviceable will be used. The cost is generally less than $200 - much cheaper than a new unit but still more expensive than a used one.

GD

I think I have to clarify. Everyone has been great and I love being able to have such great minds to ask, but I feel I should be clearer on what I am seeking.

I have a 1997 Subaru Outback Legacy. It has multiple problems, but many good parts so I want to find another Outback Legacy that is running but then be able to part out my current car to it as needed. (or it becomes a project car) but due to cost and time I don't want to rebuild the car I own just yet.

So of the Outback Legacys out there obviously the 1997 will have interchangeable parts, but what other years would be pretty interchangeable?

Its an automatic and since I don't know the mechanics real well I didn't understand the discussion on manual versus automatic and the difference being on the front end of the shaft. Sorry. But I have to assume to make life easier its just better to go with an automatic unless there is only minor differences between the two. As you can tell as I am limited in knowledge so trying to make this easy on myself, lol.

So what is the range of years that would be suitable for me to purchase so I can later part my current car to the not yet purchased one? This is assuming they use more or less the same parts, lengths, connections for several years running.

Thanks again for all your insight, links, and ideas.

Let me ask, if i get an manual, will that be really hurting any benefit that I may have from interchangeable parts? Or are the difference modest and the parts I may need to purchase wouldn't be too expensive?

thanks so much.

Now I just have to find one close and affordable! lol....

I live in the sticks, I know it says Dallas but I am about 2 hours north east and its not a big Subaru area, and its impossible to make things work with just one car out here......

thanks again

thanks so much.

thanks again

the other thing you may want to know is that all?of the parts on the outback will also fit the legacy L, GT, and LSi. so depending on what you find available, you could buy a lego wagon and swap in the outback struts, wheels, doors, bumpers, fog lights, radio, seats, etc, to make the car you want.

the paint job and roof rack would be a little harder i think?

May I ask, are Forrester parts from 1996-1999 more or less interchangeable with the Outback Legacy as well?

The Forester is based on the Impreza platform. I'm certain there are parts that are interchangeable, but I don't know which ones. The opposed forces link above will let you identify a part on your Legacy and then see where else it will fit.

Since you are in effect trying to find another car that you can swap parts from your current vehicle to, it would make sense to get a similar platform for the maximum interchangeabilty.