Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ 22 swap and VSS

RAugur33

If you need any advice - feel free to PM me - I just finished an '85 Brat like last week.

One thing we did different than I have done before is to mount the ECU and the ignitor behind/under the glove box area. This way we made use of the harness plug on the passenger side of the firewall (unused except on AC equipped cars) and everything was a lot simpler to fit. The driver's side under-column area is just too cramped for the EJ's ECU and wireing bundle.

We also had a friend of mine TIG weld the bung for the gauge coolant sensor in the EJ's coolant cross-over. He welded it up so there was more material and then tapped it to to thread of the EA sensor. That nicely fixed the temp gauge problem.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 1 year later...

Just got around to trying to figure out the VSS problem.

So, I ran a wire from ECU B58 11, (dark green wire )to VSS wire (yellow/red) in speedo cluster and I get no change. Idle doesn't change at all. I tapped into vss wire, and then cut vss wire and wired into engine side (rather than cluster side). I even unplugged the VSS plug while engine was running and no change in idle.

My problem is that engine idles @ 2000 when I am at dead stop.

Any suggestions??

a VSS problem shouldnt mess with your idle. You have something else wrong. You either have a problem with your idle air control or you have your throttle cable too tight. the throttle cable needs to have free play or the idle control cant idle the car down. of course there is other things that could be wrong but those would be my first guesses. ha ha

The black wire on the VSS needs to be grounded I beleive - if it is not already through the CC system (if equipped).

You sure the ECU doesn't think it's in an automatic? I've had similar effects when mistakenly using auto ECU's on SPFI conversions. I beleive there is a grounded or ungrounded pin that tells the ECU what type it is on the EJ's....

GD

The black wire on the VSS needs to be grounded I beleive - if it is not already through the CC system (if equipped).

You sure the ECU doesn't think it's in an automatic? I've had similar effects when mistakenly using auto ECU's on SPFI conversions. I beleive there is a grounded or ungrounded pin that tells the ECU what type it is on the EJ's....

GD

I do believe the harness is from an automatic. How did you remedy similar in past?

I do believe the harness is from an automatic. How did you remedy similar in past?

Ground the "park" pin.

Alternately, you can cut the Auto/Manual wire to tell the ECU to be for a manual, but then it will be looking for a Nuetral switch signal which you're 84 trans won't have. So you'll still have idle issues and possibly stall at lights.

Leaving the ECU auto, and grounding the park pin seems to work well.

You can use the clutch switch that turns off the CC on EA81's equipped with it to simulate a neutral switch. Been doing that for years on my SPFI swapped rigs and it works great.

At least with the SPFI ECU's.... they refuse to idle back in a reasonable amount of time unless you use the manual ECU..... there's not an easy way to tell them what they should be.... I think they were hardcoded into the ROM.

GD

Ground the "park" pin.

Alternately, you can cut the Auto/Manual wire to tell the ECU to be for a manual, but then it will be looking for a Nuetral switch signal which you're 84 trans won't have. So you'll still have idle issues and possibly stall at lights.

Leaving the ECU auto, and grounding the park pin seems to work well.

I don't know if the 84's have a spot for it, but a clutch switch used for cruise control that replaces the upper pedal stop works well as a neutral switch. I used to have the stalling coasting up to lights issue, and hooked that up as my neutral switch and it fixed it.