Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru is building cars for looks only these days, not functionality, so yes, you are right, those wheels will not work in winter potholed roads, etc, too wide to handle snow and ice.

I wish Subaru would think function over looks, but nope.

"Also, the sedan STI features two mufflers (still has four pipes) as opposed to the wagon's one giant muffler (and four pipes). Subaru claims that while this has no bearing on horsepower or torque, it makes the car sound, "Meaner and louder.""

come on Subaru, why are you doing what GM and Pontiac failed at.

Subaru is building cars for looks only these days, not functionality, so yes, you are right, those wheels will not work in winter potholed roads, etc, too wide to handle snow and ice.

"Also, the sedan STI features two mufflers (still has four pipes) as opposed to the wagon's one giant muffler (and four pipes). Subaru claims that while this has no bearing on horsepower or torque, it makes the car sound, "Meaner and louder.""

Agree that it is much better to have function over looks. I don't like car exhaust that has a single pipe that branches into duals or quads at the end of the car. That concept seems stupid. If they want to have duels, then run dual the entire length of the car. I would pay extra for the second cat.

Are you serious? This is not an Outback. The low profile tires and 18's are a STi combination. I think it may be you who does not get it. Subaru seems to get it as their sales continue to climb. It is not designed to go off-road in this configuration. You keep dreaming of the BRAT that Subaru will not build again...

The 4 door makes for a nice package. My concern is the 18" super low profile tires. Winter pot holes around here will destroy the tires and wheels at low speed where I live. Would that damage be covered under factory warranty??

If you have the money to buy one of those you should have enough dough to get some fat hankook snowtires on steelies or rally wheels.

Rob

" Also, a quick PSA for those of you thinking about buying a new STI and deleting the wing: Subaru highly recommends you also change the trunk springs, because minus the weight of the wing, the trunk will smash in the rear window."

something tells me there is going to be a lot of smashed rear windows........:eek:

They did build it again, it was called the Baja...:lol:

Tire swap on the STi and it is a great winter car. I have two sets of rims for all my rides. Summer and winter. Nitto NT05's, Blizzak WS50's.

Right... and where is that one again? Wingless... changing springs is a no-brainer...PSA, anyone with a brain knows you have to change the trunk springs.

Ew. Give us the wagon back!!! This sedan looks so boring...like a Sentra or Corolla or something.

Well, as was mentioned in the article, they're offering BOTH for buyers! :banana:

So if the giant wing strikes your fancy, then you can have the Sedan, but

if you just love the versatility, then go all out for the 5 door.

Twitch

I was never too thrilled about the STI hatchback, until I saw it with Mat Trax on it :grin: But now this, this is what I am talking about! They took the look of the new legacy and carried that over to the sti sedan. I like the sedan alot.

If I were to buy this car, this would NOT be my winter beater, that's for sure! Ya I might run it in the winter sometimes but not for a DD, that's what a $500 GL is for, not the $30,000 STI :rolleyes:

I also don't think the market for the STI is aimed at off road/snow performance either (rally excluded). It's street performance. I would be PISSED if I spent 30 g's on a performance street car and I didn't get 18" rims and lo pro tires! Not to mention it would look stupid with smaller rims and tires and you would also lose performance as well. 18" are still a fairly robust rim, unlike 20". There isn't enough material for the rim to really stand up to any kind of beating, intentional or not on a 20" rim. 18" are a good compromise IMHO. 17" are just so yesterday, I mean C'MON! :lol:

Edited by eulogious