Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Ive been working on lately...

Well, nothing special, just got done re-sealing and installing another EA82 into my mom's 86 GL wagon. I also Weberized it, cleaned up the manifold, and added Delta Camshaft Horsepower grind cams. It runs great, but I need to re-jet the Weber, with the new cams the motor starves for fuel when I want it to go, and there is a noticible hesitation between the primary and the secondary. Cruise still works :banana:

The Car:

IMG_0394.jpg

Old engine:

100_0057-1.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

New engine :grin:

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Actually swapping the old motor out and the new one in took less than half a day, I drove it in in the morning and drove it out that night :banana: I have a video uploading now that I will have on here shortly.

What I still need to do is finish the exhaust, re-jet the Weber, re-tune it, and then it will be ready to go :)

-Bill

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyKZksQrilo

All I have for exhaust in this vid is the stock Y-pipe with a gutted cat :grin:

I think these cams would work fine in a SPFI motor, but IIRC FI and Carb have different grinds, so you'd have to order them for SPFI. I ordered mine for carb. Also, if you have bigger tires, I would get the Torque grind, as the HP grind is more for high RPM power (2000-4800RPM IIRC). My mom doesnt use this off-road at all, so the HP cams were the best choice. But if I convince her to let me lift it, Torque cams will be swapped in :banana:

-Bill

it's probably not the jets... take the air filter off and try it again...

with the short air filter it's probably not getting enough air actually....

Ive had the filter on and off, and when i drive it, it runs kinda lethargic until I hit the secondary, then it stumbles a little and takes off like a rocket... So Im pretty sure its the jets... I do plan od putting a tall filter on later though, but the shorty is what came with the Weber kit.

-Bill

Oh no clutch fan, you have electric in its place? Nice. Gives ya more room in front of the motor. Sounds good btw.

Yeah I have a Hi-flow electric pusher fan in front of the radiator on the side the stock electric fan once was. This car did have A/C and a clutch fan at one time, but all that was removed. Right now the electric fan runs full time, but Im gonna rig up another that comes on with a thermoswitch as well, just for security on those hot summer days. I dont want this motor to blow, but if it does, I have an EJ22 sitting in the shop that needs a home.....

-Bill

I dont want this motor to blow, but if it does, I have an EJ22 sitting in the shop that needs a home.....

-Bill

I bet your mother would never let you forget it, if she is anything like my mom.

And it all looks good, high rev power is awesome for freeway travel, or rallycross :brow:

I hope its one of those cars that never dies, just keeps on truckin' until SOA

buys it and sticks it in their museum.

Twitch