Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What can I swap into a 91 Legacy? Will 99 ej22 work?

Could I put a 2.2 from a 99 legacy in?

When I had a 91 Leggie, I had a 92 Leggie motor installed. My mechanic told me that some of the wiring harness connectors were not the same, so he had to do some wiring splice work to complete the job. That took some time.

You can put any Subaru engine in any Subaru if you have the time and money to make it work, but...

The 99 is a Phase 2 EJ22 and it is OBDII (I also think it is an inference engine). You might need the ECU from the 99 as well to make it work. Look for a pre-97 and you would be better off. I'm not sure if your 91 is OBDI or not. Of course if you don't care about CEL's you could probably make it work.

I find it hard to believe you can't find an older EJ22 in Washington that would plug and play. What's wrong with your engine? How many miles are on it? It might be best to rebuild it...

Edit - I meant pre-95 not pre-97 for OBDI Phase 1 :)

Edited by BluetoE

It's got 270k on it. I really just don't want to deal with it anymore. It probably is salvagable... It needed a head gasket, I replaced that, and then when reassembled it ran worse. In fact, it was externally leaking oil and water mixed. I've done enough head gaskets before that I assume I didn't make any critical mistakes, I just don't want the headache...

The '99 2.2 is the Phase 2, which may not matter if you reuse the '91 heads/intake manifold/harness. But the crank sensor may not be compatible w/the '91's wiring ECU.

The easy swaps are the '89-94 Legacy...the wiring harness connectors changed in '92-94, but just swap the harness...it can be done w/out removing the intake manifold.

The '95-96 short block should also be a direct swap.

Remember that the '95+ are OBD2 and have different ECU/wiring.

GL,

TD