Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Picked up a 1991 Legacy SS yesterday...

one of those breather tubes that goes straight down to the top of engine, usually has a short 2" inch long rubber hose that cracks, as it becomes like glass. It looks like you show the plastic tube, and the hose is mia, did yours disentegrate like all 3 of my previous turbo legs has done?

one of those breather tubes that goes straight down to the top of engine, usually has a short 2" inch long rubber hose that cracks, as it becomes like glass. It looks like you show the plastic tube, and the hose is mia, did yours disentegrate like all 3 of my previous turbo legs has done?

Yes, all the PCV hoses are cracked and falling apart. I've ordered some new ones from http://www.chaplinssubarugenuineparts.com/. Even with shipping, it's cheaper than going to any of the dealerships around here.

Just curious--how do you r/r that window trim? Does it just pry off and snap on?

small short screws that are hidden under the window weather stripping. You have to tug the ribber stripping out to get to them. There is a metal strip under the stripping, that has access to you guessed it, more screws.

New NGK spark plugs and wires today. I spent most of the day cleaning out the spark plug wells due to the the poor fitment of the previously installed cheap aftermarket spark plug boots. A can of compressed air, half a box of Q-Tips, some brake cleaner, and a few hours later, and I had the old plugs out. Some dielectric grease on the boots, and anti-seize on the threads, and the new ones were installed. No seized or stripped threads, no Helicoils, and the old plugs looked pretty decent.

After just doing the plugs on my 2002 Impreza (SOHC EJ25), it was pure pleasure to to change these plugs. More room to work, better visibility, no poorly designed leaky plug well gaskets.

LegacySS05052010001.jpg

LegacySSNGK001.jpg

The new NGK BKR6ES -11 plugs are made in the USA with Japanese components, while the old BKR6E -11 plugs I pulled are simply stamped "Japan".

I'm still looking for a hood scoop. The middle rib is broken out, and there are some other cracks in the scoop.

LegacySS05052010005.jpg

Thanks to subaru_styles, I found a working power antenna off a 1992 SS in a junkyard for $15.

The battery finally died, and will be replaced with either an Odyssey 680PCMJ is just bought, or the Optima 34R I have in my Impreza.

I know this stuff is mundane. Exciting photos coming soon, I promise.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the fuel filter and all the fuel lines today. This is why:

LegacySS05132010002.jpg

When I clamped my automotive hemostat onto this fuel line, it started spraying fuel out like a soaker hose.

The vapor line was brittle, and actually has a hole in it.

LegacySS05132010001.jpg

It took three feet of Gates 5/16" 27085 fuel injection line, and just over a foot of Gates 1/4" 27002 fuel vapor line.

The hose clamps were tired, so I grabbed a handful off of a 1995 Legacy at the junkyard. While I was there, I scored a mint grille off a 1989 wagon for $9.00, and dry, odorless gray carpet from the same car for $7.00. Someone had already pulled the front seats and center console, so I had the carpet out in no time.

You could always do the coffee can mod. Because the new 90* bend your gonna get is bound to crack really quick, if not when your putting it on. You can always just JB weld that crack up.

Just curious, what does the hood scoop do? Bring air to the engine bay? Look cool but just add aerodynamic drag?

It's really rather worse less unless you have a TMIC, but it does bring air into the engine bay and there is a chimney that covers the turbo and it funnels air into that to cool the turbo, so yes it does do something, but the actual effects are minimal to none.

Edited by adema2626

Just curious, what does the hood scoop do? Bring air to the engine bay? Look cool but just add aerodynamic drag?

Here's a picture of the underside of the scoop, and the engine bay.

LegacySS05052010004.jpg

The "chimney" is a shroud around the turbo, and it sticks up into the hole in the hood scoop.

LegacySS002.jpg

You could always do the coffee can mod. Because the new 90* bend your gonna get is bound to crack really quick, if not when your putting it on. You can always just JB weld that crack up.

It's really rather worse less unless you have a TMIC, but it does bring air into the engine bay and there is a chimney that covers the turbo and it funnels air into that to cool the turbo, so yes it does do something, but the actual effects are minimal to none.

I don't think I want to use JB Weld on rubber...

http://jbweld.net/faq.php#faq012

I wouldn't call it worse less, or worthless. If you want to believe that the engineers at Subaru designed a worthless hood scoop that does nothing to keep the turbo cool, I won't be the one to try to convince you otherwise.

Edited by 2.5_IMP

The scoop directs air flow directly to the turbo via the chimney when driving. When car is stopped at a stoplight, or turned off from running and then parked, the chimney->hoodscoop then allows the hot air to escape from under the hood as hot air rises.

this is why you see many "blistered" clearcoats around the scoop, as the heat coming out of it tends to flake the clearcoat over time.

On a side note, you can cook hotdogs over the chimney, its like a built in bbq grill.

As a side note, which now that you've got the sunroof pulled out it doesn't really matter anymore, but sunroof leaks are rarely the seals. You could technically run a sunroof with no seals, and in anything but a downpour the 4 drains should keep the water out of the interior.

Once the drains plog, that when the water starts overflowing the sunroof tray and wetting down the interior.

There's the common misconception that the seals around the glass are what keeps the water out. They try and redirect the water so it runs off the roof, but they are expected to leak, and the drains are designed to carry away that leakage. I've seen lots of cars with tape/sillicone goobered all over the sunroof, when the real problem is plogged drains. I've had good results with a piece of welding wire carefully used to break up the clogs and compressed air to clear them through.

As a side note, which now that you've got the sunroof pulled out it doesn't really matter anymore, but sunroof leaks are rarely the seals. You could technically run a sunroof with no seals, and in anything but a downpour the 4 drains should keep the water out of the interior.

Once the drains plog, that when the water starts overflowing the sunroof tray and wetting down the interior.

There's the common misconception that the seals around the glass are what keeps the water out. They try and redirect the water so it runs off the roof, but they are expected to leak, and the drains are designed to carry away that leakage. I've seen lots of cars with tape/sillicone goobered all over the sunroof, when the real problem is plogged drains. I've had good results with a piece of welding wire carefully used to break up the clogs and compressed air to clear them through.

All of the drain tubes were clear, especially the one that was just routed into the trunk rather than being placed into the funnel. :mad: I'm guessing the moron(s) that did the body work forgot to put it back in when they were done. The outer seal on the glass was visibly damaged, and the inner seal was actually out of place and caught in the mechanism of the sunroof. I don't need a sunroof in Oregon anyway. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The weather was finally dry and warm enough today to paint the turbo heat shield. I masked off the warning tag and mesh, scuffed it with some red Scotchbrite, and wiped it down with SEM wax and grease remover. I used PlastiKote engine primer and low gloss black engine enamel, and covered the inside and outside of the shield. It was half the price of VHT, and the finish turned out nice.

LegacySS06052010002.jpg

LegacySS06052010001.jpg

LegacySS06052010003.jpg

Of course, I managed to chip and scratch the paint in a few places during installation.

List of things to do next week:

1. Sell car on craigslist.

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1782253938.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1783989775.html

Edited by 2.5_IMP
Selling, selling.....

Nice score man. Looks like you are on your way to making a nice ride. Please dont get greedy though and turn the boost up. The pistons are not forged and I have had to rebuild several 22T's from guys cranking up the boost. Even 10-12lbs will melt your ringlands.