Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SJR lift kit prone to failure?

True2Blue

i was looking at a tranny problem and saw that the block was bent due to the SJR cut out of it..

did you road text these Scott?

its still intact but its bent a lil bit

the pics dont do it justice but i can feel the bend in the center at the lower hook of the J and the tip of the S

DSCF0289.jpg

DSCF0290.jpg

i can get better pics later tonight.

im not tryin to bash on Scott just want the stuff we buy to be safe is all (might weld a plate on the back idk yet)

Looks like it might have been done durring manufacture. I'm guessing that those start out as flat plate that is laser cut and then bent to the C shape to create the block. Looks like it flexed at the top of the S when it was being bent...... looks structurally sound to me. If it was bending due to the load of the car on it - you would expect it to bend the other way.

I suppose we should wait for Scott to answer, but I don't see a problem with it - smack the "J" with a hammer and bend it back in place if it bother's you.

GD

smack the "J" with a hammer and bend it back in place if it bother's you.

GD

:lol::lol:

it was just something i noticed.. i was wondering if it was gonn snap off due to folding in half if i happened to"jump" the subaru on accident.. yanno.. im waiting for scotts reply.:-\

:) pics don't do it justice. i do not think this will fail. i was wondering if others have been bent like this or if i did it cause the kits you make seem straight as an arrow and if you were to feel it with you own hands you would probably look for an answer too

:lol::lol:

it was just something i noticed.. i was wondering if it was gonn snap off due to folding in half if i happened to"jump" the subaru on accident.. yanno.. im waiting for scotts reply.:-\

I'm not sure how someone would "accidentally" jump a Subaru. And if one were to do so, there would be virtually no extra load on the parts pictured. It would be primarily directed toward strut/shock extensions. One thing for you to think about is the guage used on lift kit components compared to ANY other piece of the rest of your car. CLEARLY the weak point is not the sjrlift.

Jump it more than a few feet in the air and the first thing that breaks is the struts - they bend like a bananna right where they enter the knuckle - get enough air and they will compress but bend so severely they will never extend again..... Without extra dampening you can't jump an EA Subaru. DAMHIK.

GD

it was not damage done while the block was in your subaru, one or 2 of my lift blocks were like that as well- its just deformed from the manufacturing process... I'm pretty sure it will not fail in the car- especially not that block. if any of the blocks are going to fail, it would be one of the smaller blocks- like the tranny dropping blocks, but only if you slam the body of the car down onto some rocks or something! :lol:

I've never had a problem commuting 30 miles to work for over a year, and a fair amount of abuse off road...including some unintentional air.

I'd be more concerned about the steel they're bolted to!!!

Edited by SoobieDoo
more info