Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Howdy all,

I would like to get a key made that unlocks the door only. Have any of you tried to get a duplicate made that without the chip? My understanding is that if a key doesn't have the chip, it will not start the engine. Is this correct?

I appreciate your response,

Joel

Howdy all,

I would like to get a key made that unlocks the door only. Have any of you tried to get a duplicate made that without the chip? My understanding is that if a key doesn't have the chip, it will not start the engine. Is this correct?

I appreciate your response,

Joel

year model miles etc?

On the 2006 Outback I had, I ordered a transponder chip key from Ebay, identical supplier to Subaru, but it didnt have the subaru logo on it.

I then went to the Subaru dealer with said key, provided my VIN, and they cut the key (they couldnt fit me in their service schedule to actually program the chip with the ECU.

So off to ACE hardware where they can duplicate chipped keys. They could read my factory key, but not program the same code onto my new key.

So that was a failure.

Back to decide if i wanted to take a day off vacation just to go back and have Subaru program the key (long story short, Subaru Dealer is 75 miles away one way, they have a TERRIBLE service dept that either can or can't do the job when they say they can, might even have to leave car for a few days, 75 miles back home with ride how? or just take the hwole day off and hope they can do service, which the dealer cannot do service-Ramsey sucks.-. Decided not worth a day vacation. Key can still unlock doors.

When i sold the outback, I had both the keys on the same keyring. Both keys look same xcept one is MIA the logo. I didnt realize what i was doing, and tried to start the car. It will crank it, but wont actually start the car. Tried 2 times, same thing, no start...

Sell car and disclosed the extra key needs programmed at a cost of like 50 just for programming. Cost of blank key was like 28, having it cut via vin was 11.....

you get the idea.

Hope this helps.

A chip key is not required for unlocking doors. You can go get a generic key cut to unlock your doors.. .just no starty.

Thanks BH

I should have put the model, year, etc

Its 2007 Outback, 50,000 mi. I'm going to the hardware store to see if they've got a blank in which I can make a copy. I've already got a spare key w/ chip so I'm just looking for that emergency spare that just opens the door. One that I can somehow afix to the vehicle in case the keys are locked in the vehicle.