Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (~115,000) miles is having the same problem as everyone else. The head gasket is blown. I live in Baton Rouge and we no longer have a dealership here, and no engine repair shop would touch my car. So I thought I would have to sell my car as is. I posted on Craigslist and the best offer I got was $1,000. I was all set to sell my car and buy a newer car, until I got an e-mail from a Subaru Master Technician and ASE Master Technician who works at a dealership in New Orleans. He says that he has been working on Subaru's since the early 80s and that he could fix my car at his home shop for $1,600 including parts (all engine seals and timing belt) and that it would only cost an extra $100 for the water pump as well. These would be all Subaru parts. He also said that he would buy it from me for $800, then fix it and sell it if I didn't want to deal with it anymore. He claims that of the cars in my situation he has fixed, none have had another head gasket or major issue. Is this too good to be true?

Here is my personal twist to the situation. I am moving in 3 weeks from Baton Rouge to Southern California to start a new job. I won't be making a lot of money, so the idea of fixing the car is much better than having a car payment and higher insurance.

Here are my questions:

1) Assuming that he is what he says he is and he fixes the car, in your experience what are the chances of having another major problem (short or long term) with my car, especially since I have to drive for a couple days to get to California through some of the hottest parts of the country. I would also need this car to last me at least 2 to 3 more years. More would be preferable.

2) Would it be better for me to cut my losses now and just get a newer car and not deal with the hassle of future problems with the Subaru?

Basically I am trying to figure out if it would be better for me to fix or sell my Subaru and get a newer car. I would rather not waste $1,600 right now if I could avoid it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Done correctly the newer Subaru Head Gaskets have been reported as reliable.

Here is a link to a posting about Subaru HGs and what to expect:

http://www.smart-service.com/blog/2009/09/prolonging-subaru-head-gaskets

Here is a good post about the fix or repair question:

http://www.smart-service.com/mikescorner-fixornot.html

You may want to ask the Subaru tech if he will go over your car and offer his opinion on what the car needs to be as trouble free as possible. Hard for us to tell you what to do. In my case I went ahead and fixed my car as I knew what I had as opposed to buying another unknown car that could also have problems. I always look at $500 + /month car payments for 48 to 72 months as the cost of buying a car vs repairing what I have. At 115k miles yours is just starting to get broken in. Mine has 236k and going strong (recently installed rebuilt engine)

Good luck!

Edited by Mike104

I think I'd fix it, but it depends on the condition of the rest of the car.

There is also one more hurdle to jump, which is California emissions. It's possible you may need more work once you get there to pass smog testing so you can register the car. What you might consider, is selling your car, and buying a decent used Subaru once you get to CA.

I think I would fix the head gaskets. Consider the figures of $1600 for repairs plus $1000, if you sold it..... you couldn't buy much of a car for $2600. The mechanic is charging the going rate to fix head gaskets. Another 100 for a water pump is reasonable too.

Since you don't know this guy or his reputation, and if you do ask him to work on your car, I would ask him for references. Get names and numbers of his previous customers, and also where he worked before. A few calls should tell you if this guy is legit or not. You should also be able to verify with Subaru that the mechanic has his Subaru and ASE Master Certification as claimed.

the only other thing to consider in making this decision is how badly was it over heated? since it is your car assume you know, but i am fearful of "bad head gasket" cars because severely over heated engines can cook the bearings and shorten the life of the engine. but if it is your car and you know it's overheating history i wouldn't be overly concerned.

his pricing does seem like the going rate, not a deal. you probably won't get more than $1000 for it as is. the only other option is to swap in a 95 - 98 2.2L engine. but the money may be close to the same.

the outback with subaru head gaskets done correctly should last a long long time, 100k.

Lots of variables to consider. Are you the original owner and know the history of the car? If so, and you are confident- get it repaired.

What part of So Cal are you going. Is there good public transportation there to get to work?

Check out the So Cal craigslist to see what you could buy there. The smog thing is a problem, so if you get there and within the first few months get the notorious 0420 code, you can be in for a bunch more money- if you are not a DIY guy.

I just missed out buying a 96 Lego in really nice shape in San Diego for 1800 from a guy moving back to Australia. It had current Cal inspections and smog.

Oh BTW, I am 1/2 mile off I-10 an hour west of Houston, so if you are going that way and have some trouble or want to stop by or , you are welcome to call up, use my garage or whatever- coffee and chat. We have 3 Subies in the garage and a fridge full of cold stuff.

PM me if you want and we can exchange contact info

Edited by eppoh