Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A little side project

Well, my buddy Trevor wanted a rig to practice body work on and get better mileage than his 76 GMC 3/4 ton truck (12MPG on a REALLY good day), and I had this laying around. I had been pulling bits and pieces off it to keep my Brat alive until I sold it, and it was just gonna get parted and chopped, so I gave him the title and said I'll help you put it back together, just trade me some stuff for the parts.

Started out as a 1980 GL-5 wagon with a 1600 and a 5-speed FWD, then Subaruguru got it a while back and began working on it, swapped in a really nice dark blue interior, lots of new bits and peices on the chassis, etc.

Last week we put the front suspension back together, then today we swapped in an 1800 motor and 5-speed FWD trans from an 83 Hatch. Not running yet, but its getting there, hopefully it will be on the road by next weekend. So far we have just been using parts I have on the farm, but it's going to need a new clutch very soon, and I will either have to make or have Trevor buy a Weber adapter plate, the only one I have for an EA81 is broken.

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

The paint plan is gonna be Ford Blue with flat black vinyls, not exactly sure on the designs just yet, but I hope it turns out good. Mostly though it just has to be reliable :banana:

-Bill

Hehe yeah its got a pretty sweet plate number :lol:

Got a little more done on it today, I just need to make a blank off plate for the EGR and plug a couple holes on the monifold, my buddy needs to get an adapter plate for a Weber, and hook up the fuel pump, get a new throttle cable, and it should be on the road, we are shooting for this weekend.

Once he gets it home he's gonna start replacing much of the used crap we slapped on to get it running with new parts over the course of time, I gave him some old front knuckles to clean up and put new wheel bearings in, and some old axles to clean up and re-boot. It will also need a new clutch soon, and maybe some mods to the cable bracket.

Spent half of the day cutting up the fwd hatch we pulled parts from and pulling parts off a blazer Im having hauled off on monday... Spring cleaning :banana:

-Bill