Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 gl with "mystery" carb?

I cannot find a rebuild kit for this thing, it has a number of 23-29 and a hitachi symbol, and a japanese subaru symbol on it. No other markings. All i know is it's an ea82, apparently not the original engine (has orange paint markings on it, was told it's a replacement) and it wont idle consistently to save its a$$. It now wont start. Before it wouldnt idle, made a gasket, now it either dies, or idles way too high, or wont start....grrrr...help!!!

Most '86 models would have a Hitachi carb. It's very likely a DCZ-328 variant of some sort. Chances are if you order a rebuild kit for an EA82 Hitachi you will get what you need.

I guarantee you won't have any regrets if you replace it with a Weber though. Easier and much more satisfying I assure you.

GD

Agreed!!! And i love your title....im known for it as well ;) anywho, the weber would kick azz, but the car just isnt worth it i dont think, has 260,000 miles, a bad cv joint, and goes through some oil. I ordered the only hitachi carb that the napa guys said they had, and the kit only went up to an 84. Ugh. A junk yard carb would no doubt yield the same crap...if i could get a used weber, for a decent price, id consider it....

Thanks on the thumbs-up for my title - I've been here a while and sometimes I get agitated at the noobs :grin:

There is another kit for the '85+ carbs. The guys at Napa are just morons. NAPA online search shows it as a part number: CRB 21374

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=CRB21374_0185975918&An=599001+101986+50068+2068009

You'll note in the description that it shows it as fitting all the variants of the DCZ328-(502 through 504).

Versus the kit that your local idiots looked up, which is the part number: CRB 21343A

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=CRB21343A_0185975917&An=599001+101986+50068+2068009

Which fits the EA81 carbs (80 to 84 models) which use the smaller DCP306-(23 through 27).

I don't even work there and I can figure this stuff out :rolleyes:.

The Weber's can be had pretty inexpensive. The general rule is that you pay about $100 for a used one with no shaft play and it takes about another $100 to rebuild, rejet, and setup for a Subaru with adaptor and filter, etc.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Oh - and Kudos on tearing down a Hitachi carb. You have got to be the first chick I've ever seen on here willing to do something like that. These carbs are notoriously difficult for the "backyarder" to get right. I think it took about half a dozen tries for me to get it down to where I could actually make one run in a mostly-factory way.

If you end up pulling it down for a complete rebuild send me a private message and I'll try to help as best I can. There's a couple tricks to them and some things you will probably want to pickup besides the kit itself.

Also - it's not likely given your location, but there are models of these that are computer controlled - look either in the "crotch" of the y-pipe on the exhaust for an 02 sensor or look under the steering column for the dreaded gold box - either one indicates a computer controlled "feedback" carb. They are nasty, horror-show peices of equipment. I'm about the only member here that has any experience with making the system work (that actively posts anyway).

GD

I left you a visitor message with a few sugestions about your carb.

Makes sense they would know the Chevy stuff better. I find that I have to shop at different parts stores for different vehicles. I also have a '69 GMC truck and the places I go for parts on that are not at all the places I go for parts for the Subaru.

Generally speaking, NAPA is not my first choice for Subaru parts. Either the dealership, or a local chain here that specializes in import parts are mostly where I shop. NAPA's prices are usually too high and their knowledge and selection of Subaru parts is very limited.

GD

Generally speaking, NAPA is not my first choice for Subaru parts. Either the dealership, or a local chain here that specializes in import parts are mostly where I shop. NAPA's prices are usually too high and their knowledge and selection of Subaru parts is very limited.

GD

it must be regional, as when I need SUBARU parts I usually go directly to the NAPA warehouse store

However, when it comes to gaskets, I go directly to the CARQUEST warehouse store

But, belts and hoses are pruchased from Advance Auto after going through the DAYCO catalog

99% of filters are ordered through AutohausAZ, seems like nobody else wants to handle NIPPON, MANN, FULL, SANKEI, DENSO filters AND HELLA bulbs

I actually started buying from them due to their extensive range of VW parts