Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So every so often I hear someone post that Subaru dealers will replace worn seat belts for free. So is this n urban legend?

I went to a Subaru dealer today and asked for them to give me a replacement seat belt for free since my drivers belt is chaffing. They laughed...told me there was no such thing as a FREE seat belt replacement.

Is there a special replacement deal with seatbelts or not?

I do recall seeing a lifetime seatbelt warranty in one of my subie manuals (a Subaru tech first told me about this) and a google search shows many people getting warranty replacements. Some dealers had to be convinced SO why not call Subaru of America and get it in writing to bring to the dealer and then you get to laugh at them and then ask why they wasted your time when you first brought this to their attention.

I can't recall what year this became effective and you didn't mention what year your car was (pre 1968?:lol:) so why not just verify with Subaru and post back with your results.

I might test this on my '97 when the belts get a little shabbier.

good luck, they are more likely to try and upgrade you to a new car than they would give you some new belts for your old car........:) I think its a mandatory oath the salesperson takes when someone comes in to the dealer about a safety issue, scare the heck out of you and tell you HOW much safer the new car is than your old trusty rust bucket which is NOT safe :)

Seatbelts from 1995 and newer have a lifetime warranty and Subaru dealers should warranty them.

The passenger belt on my 1997 Impreza was chaffed along the edges. I brought it in, the local dealership looked at it, and ordered a new belt.

The dealerships won't just go up an replace the belt because you want them to. However if the belt is worn beyond "normal" wear and tear, like the chaffed edges, they should replace it.

good luck, they are more likely to try and upgrade you to a new car than they would give you some new belts for your old car........:) I think its a mandatory oath the salesperson takes when someone comes in to the dealer about a safety issue, scare the heck out of you and tell you HOW much safer the new car is than your old trusty rust bucket which is NOT safe :)
Thanks for the heads up. But I rallycross this puppy AND use it for my DD. It is definitely safer than most of the new stuff that's come out on the market lately.

I just had the driver side seat belt replaced on my 2000 Outback (138K). The top edge was frayed where it crossed your chest and it was getting caught on zippers/buttons.

At first the service manager said all warranties had expired on the car, but I showed him the warranty book from my glove box. He looked into it further and ordered the belt at no cost to me. The warranty excludes cosmetic problems like fading and problems withe anchor points (from rust I presume).

It's a 1998 Outback. 230K The warranty is on page 6. The driver's side is worn and abraded. NOT cosmetic otherwise I would not care. I don't care but seeing how the wife will drive this car soon I now care.

You guys are awesome. I had not thought of looking in the booklet. Thanks!:banana:

• 2 weeks later...

Well after two trips I got the belt replaced. I showed up this weekend, after being out for a long time. The service writer said it should be covered, but he didn't want to look at my car's belt. He said if the tech determined it wasn't normal wear and tear it would not get replaced. I asked for the new part and that I would be on my way. (I install it)

This is where the dealer hassle began. He mentioned that it would have to be done in the shop. I was fine with that, but he then gave me crazy times. He finally agreed to Monday morning and then finally said I could get a courtesy ride to work as he estimated the job would take an hour.

Sure enough dropped it off this morning at 7AM and two hours later the car was ready. Got two free cups of coffee, two free muffins and a ride to and from work in a new 2010 Forester. The dealer has a happy Subaru owner who I might bring some business his way.

:banana:

The new seat belt takes at least 100K miles off this car. LOL The wife is complaining that she still has the same old belt. (It's not frayed but has stains on it):)

The guy bring my car around asked if I had been off roading as the car was muddy as he11! I replied, "Thats a great guess, but no. Long climbing trip in Canada. I just got back from a 5K road trip and didn't bother to wash it." The mud on the side is at least a 1/2" thick, and an arc where the wipers have been working overtime. :grin:

I wonder does mine require replacement? The buckle that snaps in on the drivers side well the part that keeps the buckle from falling all the way down to the floor somehow was broken off when I brought the car. And it's annoying to sometimes have the buckle fall between the door and the seat or getting caught in the door or having to open the door to get the buckle.