Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping a 95 ej22 into a 2000 outback..... will it work??

My old faithful 95 2.2 4eat lego, is slowly rotting away. Still runs like a champ, burns no oil, throws no codes......gotta love the 2.2's.

I've located a 2000 outback with a snapped timing belt, low miles, good body. Is it possible to swap the 2.2 from my 95 into the 2000 shell? I am a very capable mechanic and don't expect it to be plug and play. Just need to know if it will be worth my while.

cheers,

Ian

Edited by EastCoastEJ22T

It would swap over. Not sure how the electronics/electrical side will cooperate. You may need address that.

Other thought is the 2000 outback is going to be heavier than your 95, and may feel a little less "peppy" than your 95 did.

There's lots of issues with this swap. You'll have to let us know what kind of job you're looking for. A basic swap this is not. A big project with some kinds along the way is more like it.

That being said - if you're capable of this swap, you're more than capable of just fixing the engine that's in the 2000, go buy it tomorrrow, jump on that thing. I've yet to see in person, or on here, a Subaru with a broken timing belt that didn't just need some bent valves replaced. The motor is going to be fine. With it's propensity to blow head gaskets you'll want the updated gasket in there anyway.

Fix it and you've got a great car.

As already written, there are serious electrical problems to over come that turn this into a nasty swap. Much electrical engine management systems was changed between 95 to 00 models. You could be stepping into a nightmare.

You don't mention how many miles/km on existing 2000 motor, if less than 150K, then would elect to repair the 2000 motor. Head gasket problem on Gen 2 2000 model is not as serious an issue, as with the Gen 1 featured during 1996 to 1999.

Since motor does not run, you should be able to buy this car on the cheap!