Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seen This?

This is one I haven’t seen before. I have an 86 sube, xt, turbo, fwd, and I have to replace the clutch so I ordered one before I pulled the engine

When I got the part I pulled the engine and found the clutch was the wrong size (too small) after some investigation I believe I need the 4wd clutch in my 2wd car

I ordered a new one today I hope it fits

Is this a normal thing? Every parts store I have looked into states that 7-7/8 clutch is for 2wd and 8-7/8 clutch is for a 4wd car?

I think the turbo's used the 225mm clutch as well as the 4WD's. But the flywheel step may be different. Measure your step and your diameter - if you have a step of about .8" then you need an XT6 clutch setup, and if you have a step of .9" then you need an EA82 4WD clutch setup.

The problem you run into is that all of this stuff will swap around and even though it may not be correct, by and large it will work to one degree or another (usually poorly in some respect). So you'll just have to go with what you have for a flywheel or replace/regrind it to what you want it to be.

I highly reccomend an OEM pressure plate. The rest of the parts don't matter so much but with all the trouble I've had with step-heights and clutch kits/pressure plate specs - I doubt I'll be buying another pressure plate from anyone but the dealer. It's best to bite the bullet on that one.

GD

13/16 is close to .815 (.8125 in fact) so that's sounding like the XT6 style pressure plate.

What is it you would like clarification on? This is pretty straightforward - .815 is the step for XT6 (maybe turbo as well - IDK for sure) and .900 is the step for non-turbo 4WD's. Buy your clutch components according to the flywheel you have or have it reground to the spec you want to use.

GD