Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'92 Subaru Loyale question

You can do the oil pan - it's not as hard as you might think. There are holes in the cross-member for a long phillips screwdriver to get to the rear bolts.

Once the bolts are out you can put a bottle jack (these are cheap from any discount tool store, etc) behind the cross-member on the front of the transmission bell housing (using a block of wood to spread the load). Then you remove the two engine mount nuts, disconnect the exhaust (4 nuts), disconnect the pitching stopper (1 bolt) and jack the engine up with the bottle jack about 3 or 4 inches. This will allow the pan to slip out. Then it's just a matter of cleaning, prepping, and installing a new cork gasket (from the dealer ~$12 IIRC).

It sounds harder than it is. MUCH easier than the oil pan gasket on my '69 GMC truck (350 SBC) - which was about a 4 hour job for me and I've done it 3 times :mad:. But this last time I used a single-peice space-age silicone unit that's quite the amazing peice of engineering. I don't think I'll be doing it again :grin:.

GD

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic