Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Jonesing for a Hatch

I've obviously been around for a while, Had 2 EA-82's, 2 gen 1 legacys a 96 impreza and an 83 hatch for all of 30 miles (bought it, parked it, sold it)

Now, I'm totally jonesing for an EA-81 hatchback, and miss the one I had.

Anybody go from a wagon to a Hatch? do you miss the extra two doors?

Kinda looking for Pros/cons better years?

Also if you know of one that's in good condition that needs a new owner. I'm in no rush, and if a hand off at WCSS makes it easier, so much the better.

I went from wagon to brat to hatch......

I found the wagons to be big and ugly - mostly never use the cargo space.

Brat is just painful and annoying. No cargo room that's dry - can't lean the seat back. Mine just sits collecting green stuff and cobwebs beside my garage.

I've done the EA81 wagon thing, and I don't mind my lifted wagon but it's still too long and big.

Did the Legacy wagon thing.... too big. Ugly. Nothing special really though I enjoyed the GT 5 speed I had like yours. Great commuter and road-trip car.

My '83 Hatch is "just right" as goldilocks would put it. Enough cargo space that I can carry tools, most car parts - I've shoved a surprising amount of crap into it at the junk yard, etc. It's shorter wheelbase, no honking rump roast hanging over the rear, and light weight make it more manueverable than the wagons. I don't miss the other two doors and remember the hatch doors are like a door and a half anyway. Since you haven't done the EA81 thing much - stick with an '82+ for starters. '85 through '89 have hydro lifter engines but are otherwise pretty much all 84's otherwise. If you don't want to do engine swaps and a bunch of work to get all the features you should probably stick with the GL's. Look for an '82 to '89 GL would be my reccomendation. You'll want to pickup rear discs, a power steering setup, and a 5 speed before going with the lift, etc. I've done quite a few SPFI swaps now so that's also something you might consider - I can put together a harness for you pretty easily.

I love everything about it. I'll probably pick up another after I lift this one - just for daily street duty.

The Brat is what initially attracted me to the EA81 Subaru - but in the end it's definitely not the one I like the best. Everyone wants them but once you have owned and driven a few it's not at all a practical vehicle for a number of reasons and they quickly lose their appeal. I would still like to restore mine and all, but I don't see myself driving it as a daily again - I would much rather have a hatch or drive my '91 SS.

I totally encourage you to go with your gut on this one - get a hatch - you'll love it and you won't leave it like you have your wagons :).

If I could only have two Subaru's it would be a lifted EA81 hatch and my '91 SS. The rest could dissapear tomorrow and I wouldn't lose much sleep.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

After being spoiled by our imprezas for the last 7? years, I could never* make the backwards step to an ea81 for a dd. Especially not a lifted one.

My coupe is fun to drive, but not up hills or around corners.

If you're gonna wheel it some too, then yeah, get a hatch.

And to counter my friend GD. . .

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I have no problem looking at any ea81 with a lift on it. They all look the same from the front. ;)

They all wheel the same, I don't agree with the "4 inches of departure angle is gonna make you go farther" argument. They all have y-pipes up front. Nor do I think that 4.5 inches of wheelbase is worth a crap either.

The most successful ea81 wheeler is the one with the best power to weight ratio. aka, the lightest one. Hatches win that title all day long.

Brats are ten times as useful as a hatch for everyday use. Put a canopy on it, and POW, ganga "dry space". Seperate from the stinky dogs too. :)

You can't put a quad or a motorcycle in the back of a hatch. no way.

After being spoiled by our imprezas for the last 7? years, I could never* make the backwards step to an ea81 for a dd. Especially not a lifted one.

Interesting.... I also prefer the power of my 22T, but for the most part a stock height hatch goes pretty good. I guess it's down to how aggressive you drive on a daily basis. Actually I kind of prefer the hatch because it can keep me out of trouble :rolleyes:

They all wheel the same, I don't agree with the "4 inches of departure angle is gonna make you go farther" argument. They all have y-pipes up front. Nor do I think that 4.5 inches of wheelbase is worth a crap either.

The most successful ea81 wheeler is the one with the best power to weight ratio. aka, the lightest one. Hatches win that title all day long.

In my defense - I was talking more about their manueverablity on the street - such as for backing up, tight cornering, u-turns, etc. The short wheelbase means they turn sharper than any other Subaru I've ever driven. But off-road visibility and manuevering improves similarly. But you are right that the biggest win is the lower weight.

Brats are ten times as useful as a hatch for everyday use. Put a canopy on it, and POW, ganga "dry space". Seperate from the stinky dogs too. :)

You can't put a quad or a motorcycle in the back of a hatch. no way.

Again, a preference thing I suppose. While you can in fact put a quad or a motorcycle in the back of one...... well.... I've hauled a Honda Magna 500 in my Brat once and it maxed out the suspention and wasn't handling real well nor did it have any power. A dirt bike etc would probably be much lighter I'm sure. If I had nothing else to do the job then maybe..... but my Brat just annoyed me most of the time - I don't like the look of the canopy's, and the one thing that bother's me the most is that I can't lean the seat back! :mad:. This is hell on long trips if you are a bit taller than some. Being 6' 2" I realize is a disadvantage.....

At any rate the Hatch has plenty of inside cargo and could probably pull a motorcycle or small quad trailer which would be a much better way to go than loading/unloading into a brat and potentially blowing out your rare and desireable bed trim :rolleyes:.

I have found that being a car guy - I need vehicles for specific jobs. Thus I have the wheeler, the sports car, the daily, the truck, the trailer, etc, etc...... :lol:. Unfortunately I don't have a need for a Brat anymore other than as a collectible.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder