Ultimate Subaru Message Board

You know where we put quarters to plug the asv valve....

Or whatever its called. What is the easiest way to remove that whole setup. The stainless tubes are leaking at the fittings where they connect to the spacer between the exhaust header and the head. Putting a wrench to them isnt going to work. Can I remove that whole spacer? Will the header bolt up without it?

'87 ea81

The spacer really shouldnt be removed to be honest. The easiest way to remove the pipe is to cut the pipe and put an impact on that nut on the spacer. After you pull the nut out put a quarter into the spacer and then impact that nut back on top of the quarter. Im honestly not sure it can be done with the engine in the car since i did mine when the motor was out.

The reason i say dont remove the spacer is it that now your bolting the exhaust directly to the head which is now an inch or two higher up. The exhaust wont sit where it needs to.

Or whatever its called. What is the easiest way to remove that whole setup. The stainless tubes are leaking at the fittings where they connect to the spacer between the exhaust header and the head. Putting a wrench to them isnt going to work. Can I remove that whole spacer? Will the header bolt up without it?

'87 ea81

Hi, there were some of the spacers that had no egr pipe, i guess it was one side only or whatever but i know they did cause i have a couple of them i saved. they fit just like the others but without a pipe connection. not wanting to get rid of them but just so you know they are out there.

Hi, there were some of the spacers that had no egr pipe, i guess it was one side only or whatever but i know they did cause i have a couple of them i saved. they fit just like the others but without a pipe connection. not wanting to get rid of them but just so you know they are out there.

I was going to mention those but figured the chances of him finding them were slim so i didnt bother. I have never personally seen them and i know others have not either. They are not nearly as common as the pipe connection spacers. Would i love to have a set..yea i would but blocking the ordinary ones with a quarter works just as well. :)

You can get those nuts of while its in the car.

Take a sawsall or grinder with a cut off wheel.Cut the tube where it comes out straight.Then you can fit a large wrench over the nut.Use the closed end.Position it so you can kick it in the direction it needs to go.It should break loose.Unscrew the nut the rest of the way.throw the tube away.Then put a quarter in there and tighten it up.

Certain years of the feedback carb (2WD and CA models) had the blank spacers.

I think I had one on the old engine from my wagon since it was 2WD and a CA car - but the original motor threw a rod some years ago and went to the scrap yard. Right now it has the holes blocked with welded up pipe nuts and the last 3/8" of the pipe for it's 60 degree flare.

GD

Ah so was it only the california 2wd cars that got the single ASV pipe coming off the head? Cause mine is a 2wd carter weber originally (well the sedan and coupe both were) and they both had fittings on both heads and two ASVs so i was under the impression they were california emissions but i guess not?

I beleive it has to be a feedback carb model. If you have the ECU (at least my '84 Hitachi feedback was this way) then it should only have a single ASV on the driver's side. It is also a vacuum controlled ASV and has a big vac cannistor on the top of it. Of course - all that stuff is long gone so that's all from memory :o

The lack of a passenger side ASV (probably due to more efficient fuel metering of the feedback computer) is what indicates a blank spacer.

GD

Hmmm well both the coupe and the sedan were feedback carb cars but maybe there was a big difference between a hitachi feedback system and a carter-weber one. I did however have a hitachi feedback carb system on a hatch at one point back in highschool and i know it had dual valves too cause they gave me a headache back then. That was also a 86 though so idk lol. Guess in the end its wherever u can find em :lol: