Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 brat puddle of coolant below and behind the distributor cap

ive been reading searching old posts i am hoping the O ring water pump thing.

Ive noticed losing coolant and saw steam today .. oil looks good exhaust looks good car runs and sounds great...

This brat is nice only 60,000 on it... i was told i need a oil pan gasket so it looks like stuff is starting to go... I think i should have this thing up dated..

Like new hoses, belts, radiator flush what are the etc.....

What should i have done while im having a bunch of stuff done ..timing belt????? water pump if not just the O -ring

You guys got a list of things i should have replaced or looked at i dont want to

start replacing some little thing every month now...

This brat is great i want to keep it that way...

Thank you I guess i will look for a subaru dealership thats been around and has a mechanic thats been working there for 25 years...

There's a coolant hose behind the distributor - it's 5/16" stuff. It goes from the block to the intake manifold. There is another below the base of the carb on the front that runs to the heater core bypass tube.

I would replace both of them. They are probably aged.

What I do, and have done several times with cars I'm going to daily drive - have the dealership order EVERY SINGLE coolant line in the car. Otherwise you just never know when some rubber will fail. Hoses, belts, and seals - do those and you'll be ahead of the game.

GD