Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newby pre-purchase question

I searched existing threads a bit but didn't see what I was looking for.

I found a 93 Loyale sedan (OD 4x4) I want to aqquire. It is clean, everything seems to work, odometer reads 126,000 and comes w/(4) additional wheels w/studded tires mounted. The car passed recent emissions and drives well. The A/C even blows cold! Has the requsite minor oil leaks and a slight "Soobie tick" under the hood.

My issue concerns a noise in the rear when in reverse and turning fairly tight while in 4-wheel mode. The noise resembles a grinding or binding of either the wheel bearings or other rear axle related issue. Also could be related to the brakes I guess?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated :)

P.S The seller wants $1600.00 for the car.

Thanks for the reply!

This car will wind up in Pullman, WA as a winter car for my niece at WAZU.

Her friend has a similar car and has volunteered to "help" keep it running - we'l see :rolleyes:

I will seriously re-evaluate the purchase based on your input - Thanks again!

I'm just not a fan of the EA82 if I can get near twice the HP, same economy, and much better appointments for the same or nearly the same money. $1500 to $2000 will buy a NICE 90 to 94 Legacy and they are typically much less troublesome in the long run. I can't reccomend any EA series car as a daily unless someone insists they must have 4WD. But really the AWD is just as good or better if you don't need low range (sounds unlikely).

GD

I'm not as against the EA82 as GD. Given good maintenance it's a very reliable engine and can give lots of miles. But "good maintenance" on an older engine usually entails more than on a newer car. But you're in that boat with an older legacy too - still paying attention to tune ups, timing belt, etc.

But GD is right - for that money you can put yourself in an early legacy and get all sorts of better options and the EJ22 is just a beast of a motor. As far as reliability and ease/cheap to maintain it's hard to beat those early legacys or impreza's. you'll get air bags and maybe ABS too depending what year you get.