Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Death throes of my subaru? Say it aint so..

:confused:

Hi guys..

I have a problem, well, I hope not.

I started the car up after it had been sitting for 2 days, it took a lil while to warm up but I didn't think anything of it as it has been cold and usually, I drive daily.

I had a 15km trip to make, that is all.. at lower speeds, the acceleration was not smooth, at the lights, at idle, it felt like someone was kicking the engine every few seconds, and I could feel it through the gearstick.. :confused: I could even hear it.. the engine also had an occasional metallic, machinery like, hissing sound.

Does anyone have any ideas? She normally works flawlessly, there is enough oil, good fuel.. I just dont know, if I didnt know better, I would say there is no oil in it, but I know there is, and it is good oil..

No car, no job...

Some details might help - mileage, engine, trans?

Previous maintenance - nothing, did you check all fluids, plugs, wires ever been done?

Check engine light?

Pop the hood at idle and try to determine if the noises are coming from front, back, right, or left.

This could span the range from simply needing a tune up or bad internal engine mojo. Let's hope for the later?

Sorry, 3 days of partying left this girl a bit under the weather.. :banana:

Its an ea81, 1984 Subaru swagon, 4x4, manual.

The heads have been done, its well maintained and ran very well until this happened..

Could the oil pump do this?

In recent times, last few years, I have replaced all the leads, plugs, coil, head gaskets.. Umm.. I think the lifters need adjustment, but when I switched to 95-98 octane, the car started running even better and the tap vanished, as it altered my timing and suited the car better. (Saved a heap of fuel too)

Edited by Fox

Ill pull the sump off for a look, and to check the intake.

The oil has always been checked and changed, running semi synthetic 20 50 and ended up adding 10 40 in my last top up.

Running the Purolator filter, which is relatively new as well.

I just got evicted (100% landlord's banks' fault :mad: )

I need to sleep in my car, if I can ever get it running right again, I have a matter of days to get it going.. please.. if anyone can help me fix it, please.. let me know.

I am in Melbourne (Aus) in Montmorency, I have almost no tools and almost no chance of fixing this.. :-\ if someone can help.. please..

Is the oil pressure light coming on? If not it is probably not the oil pump. Could one of the spark plugs have worked its way loose, this could account for the hissing and rough running.

It wasnt a loose spark plug.

Im almost at the point where I am going to have to surrender my registration and scrap the car, as much as I do not want to do this, I cannot afford a mobile mechanic at the moment.. I fear, if for some reason oil is not getting through, itll sieze the engine. There has been no oil pressure light come on either..

I havent had time to pull the sump off, I am sick as with a secondary lung infection. (Not contagious) :-\ Thanks for your help.