Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just how bad is the 3AT?

I'm looking at a 1983 4x4 GL wagon... with the 3AT. I'm wondering how bad this transmission really is. Is it just that it's an automatic transmission (which I consider to be a pretty big flaw to begin with -- I can't stand them even on new cars, but this car would not be for me), or that it's worse than automatic transmissions are in general?

Only 120k miles and appears to be pretty well taken car of (engine sounds nice, no rust!!, even has A/C). It needs to be a reliable car, for regular driving around town, errands, etc, including city streets in snowy weather.... not offroading or snowdrift bashing that I tend to do with my cars. I like all of the rest of the car -- just don't have any experience with that particular transmission.

Hmmm where to begin lol

-old design at this point ~29 or so years old in the EA81 line

-only 3 gears with no overdrive has the motor SCREAMING at 4k at 70mph

-dont shift well when cold or dont shift at all when cold (what happened to me)

-lose a TON of power through them compared to manuals

-basically a glorified boat anchor :lol: (seriously they weigh a TON compared to the manual transmissions)

No but seriously for all the crap that people say about the 4 speed dual ranges i would take one of those any day and fix the shifter slop with GDs solution...or be done with crappy EA81 era transmissions all together and go 5 speed D/R from an EA82 and have a stronger trans with better linkage.

They're OK, but don't transmit power very well. Which, when you only have 90hp to start with, isn't a good thing. They like to apple-core the governor drive gear, which puts them into first only, no upshift ever.

It's a 3.7 to 1 final drive, the transmission is direct drive in 3rd, you have dinky tires, so yeah, the motor is revved way up to make any speed.

But for around town driving, they're fine. Just don't expect great MPG or easy highway cruising.

It needs to be a reliable car, for regular driving around town, errands, etc, including city streets in snowy weather.... not offroading or snowdrift bashing that I tend to do with my cars.

It will be perfect for this.

And even capable of a little fun too.

Here's my "townie" 84 GL with a 3at.

Edited by Gloyale