Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have brand new Gr2s on my outback. They were great with the stock springs, but are a little weak for the king springs i put on Bloo a few months back.

I bought my Gr2s for $250, and for the price i think they are probably the best struts for stock Soobs.

I sometimes hear of someone changing shocks on a Legacy Wagon, but I am not sure why.

I have 2 wagons, each with over 150K and none of the shocks are worn out. In fact, I have never known a Legacy shock to wear out. These are not crappy Chevy factory shocks.

Had a friend change his around 120K miles, cause he thought " they must be ready". Well when he took them out of the springs, they were not soft or sloppy- still worked fine.

So, for all of you that talk about changing shocks, and getting KYB's what makes you think your shocks are worn?

I have had problems with the rubber top hats, getting hard and causing a clunk.

In fact, I have never known a Legacy shock to wear out.

I've seen them worn out.... I replaced a front set on a car that once I took the springs off, the shocks presented zero resistance to moving in or out... and the car bounced violently up and down when you hit bumps and was pretty scary to drive over 40 on the highway any more. It actually bashed the exhaust manifold off, and dented the transmission a bit hitting the road. 190k.

Of course, it was regularly driven on a bad dirt road driveway with rocks that most people probably would not have taken a car on at all..... If you stay on pavement or gravel roads, it probably would not have worn them out like that.