Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seat Belt Retractor?

I know know the actual name of the thing I mean, but it's what pulls the seat belt up & out of the way when not in use, the ones for the front. Can these things, whatever they're called, be replaced with good-working ones? Anyone know the proper name for them? The deal that retracts them sits down on the floor, I believe (don't have the car here to look).

Usually it's just a matter of removing, cleaning, and lubricating the retractor mechanism. If replacement is needed then it's either used or the dealer for those - you wouldn't like the dealer price. But typically they don't fail so I wouldn't imagine you would have any trouble at all finding a used replacement.

GD

Usually it's just a matter of removing, cleaning, and lubricating the retractor mechanism. If replacement is needed then it's either used or the dealer for those - you wouldn't like the dealer price. But typically they don't fail so I wouldn't imagine you would have any trouble at all finding a used replacement.

GD

My belt just puddles on the floor when I release it, and then gets caught in the door when I close it. I like the idea of taking it apart & cleaning & lubing it, provided it'd easy to do. What are the major steps just to get to it?

Where in SW Wa are you? I'd recommend not taking apart the retractor unless you know what you're doing.

Honestly the best choice is to replace it. If you don't do it just right you won't find out until you need it.

I used to be a seat-belt engineer, trust me, you don't want to take it apart.

Where in SW Wa are you? I'd recommend not taking apart the retractor unless you know what you're doing.

Honestly the best choice is to replace it. If you don't do it just right you won't find out until you need it.

I used to be a seat-belt engineer, trust me, you don't want to take it apart.

exactly do not take them apart.

In tiny warning letters, printed on the retractors "do not take apart"

That was just beggin me to do so. Once apart, they are goners...Theres a coil spring flat steel dealey in there, and well, like is printed, they are not to be taken apart, EVER.

Puddling on the floor, is much better than not having any at all. Buy some junkyard replacements install them, then if you are ballsy enuf, take them apart and report back how the belt Win and you Lose.

Someone else on here did the same....again, FAIL.

Boo! :rolleyes:

I've had a few apart (rust-frozen Brat jump-seat retractors) and got them functioning again.

Also - if you are careful you could probably lube them without taking them completely apart.

But used would be the easier option for sure.

Seat Belt engineer?! Really? :lol:

Noah.... FTW. :lol:

GD

Going to a junkyard is not an option for me (too long to explain but trust me, it's true), so I will post in the "Subaru Stuff Wanted" section.

This is not an urgent thing for me as my seat belt does function fine except for not retracting. I have to prioritize the available cash I have that I spend on my car (don't we all?). This past week it was a new power steering pump, pulley, filter & hose. Two weeks ago it was replacing the front axle, installing the rebuilt carb, a front end alignment and a tune-up. Sigh.

Does this look like a good guide for the replacement procedure?

http://www.wescoperformance.com/seat-belt-install-3-point-retract.html

It's similar - you will just have to remove some of the interior trim peices and then you can access the bolts that hold the retractor and the upper belt loop to the frame of the car. Just screws and such mostly. It would give you more room to work if you unbolted the seat and removed it - trust me they are pretty light and only 4 bolts. It can make a lot of interior jobs easier to remove the seat(s).

GD

I was, spent 2 years testing airbags and seatbelts in Michigan :rolleyes:

So the difference between your job description and that of a "crash test dummy" is only the part about the actual crash?? Not saying you are a dummy.... well you get my meaning.....:lol:

Pretty funny though - I have this strange image in my head of you blowing up air-bags with safety glasses on. :). What happens when they don't do what you expect? :eek:

GD

If the bag tears when it explodes the fireball can be pretty cool.

The neat test was when we tensile tested the seatbelt webbing, good for around 15-20k newtons (just over 2 tons) the entire machine pulling it apart would jump off the ground, and were talking a machine that weights as much as a car.

No, I wasn't a crash test dummy, a joke I get slightly less than the "where's your ark" quip.