Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pump Advice

87 GL Hatch EA81 with 125,000 miles on it.

My oil pump was leaking pretty bad, so I ordered a reseal kit and new pump. (Yes, you can still get them, yes, it takes 6 to 8 weeks.)

Coupla silly questions:

Should I just reseal the original pump and keep the new one as a spare? (I read through search bad things can happen while trying to get them off so I had another on hand before the reseal.) Or just slap the new one on and call it good? I had no issues with oil pressure, and outside of the leaks, the engine appears to have been maintained fairly well. I also read through search that lack of oil changes contributes greatly to pump failure. That doesn't appear to be an issue.

Second question. Upon getting the pump off, there was some oil residue under the crank pulley. Not the shiny, clean, "there's been a massive leak here" type thing, just residue. Could that have been transfer from the pump leaking? There doesn't appear to be anything around the top side. (Read where failing crank seals can fling oil everywhere?) I'm leaning towards leaving it alone as it wasn't that difficult to get the radiator out should I need to get to this point again.

I'm planning on keeping the car long term if that makes any difference.

Thanks to all who contribute here. I wouldn't even have attempted this had it not been for the mass of information assembled in this one spot.

Thanks,

Dan

I'd replace the crank seal. It's so easy and then it will be done.

You were right :banana:. Check this off the list.

Dissasemble the oil pump and inspect the internals before you commit to reusing it.

GD

Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? I'm not in possession of micro measuring tools, so anything not obvious to the naked eye I wouldn't be able to find anyway.

The only reason I even ask the question is due to the increasing difficulty of finding these pumps. I would hate to replace a perfectly good one when finding another spare might become impossible as time goes on. If it was a readily found part, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it.

And thank you GD, most of the information I gleaned from searches came from you.

Dan

Is there anything I should be looking for in particular? I'm not in possession of micro measuring tools, so anything not obvious to the naked eye I wouldn't be able to find anyway.

When they are chewed up - you can see the damage. And the fit between the parts will be very loose. Here's a rotor from a damaged EA81 pump:

pump_rotor.jpg

Close up of damage:

pump_rotor_close.jpg

The only reason I even ask the question is due to the increasing difficulty of finding these pumps. I would hate to replace a perfectly good one when finding another spare might become impossible as time goes on. If it was a readily found part, I wouldn't hesitate to replace it.

I just bought two new ones from the dealer (for spares) - it took 1 week to get the first and another week to get the 2nd (I ordered them at the same time) - $78 each. That is the only source for now. My new one's are not made by Atsugi so it looks as though Subaru has gone to Hitachi to have them made. That looks good for us since it means they took enough intrest to have them made at all. Also I know for a fact the EA81 was produced in some countries up till '94 so it doesn't look like they will stop making them anytime soon. The problem is that Subaru of America only imports about a dozen at at time so if they are out you have to wait till the next shipment arrives. But so far it doesn't look like they are going to dry up supply wise.

And thank you GD, most of the information I gleaned from searches came from you.

Dan

No problem.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I'd replace the crank seal. It's so easy and then it will be done.

It is REAR mains that are really best left untouched unless they are for sure leaking.

Crank seals are a given both front and rear. Fronts when doing oil pumps and reaseals. Rears, whenever you do a clutch. To not do it then is foolish.

I've seen three pumps with various degree's of that type of wear. Admittedly the picture is of the worst one I have ever seen - so bad it warranted a picture to document it.

The original pump from my hatch was worn but not to the same extent. I replaced it and have been driving it for several years now. It had - I would say 25% of the wear the one pictured has. Even at that, replacing it bumped up my pressure a good 25% or more.

I agree - either no oil, or WAY too long between changes. Once the filter clogs up the oil bypasses it and there is nothing to keep small particulates from eating the pump so it could be caused by people never changing the oil - and with an older EA81 it might be that it leaks and burns so much that people just keep adding more and never bothering to change the filter. Speculation though - I have never had this happen to one of mine that I have owned and serviced. I've only seen it on newly aquired vehicles that have had unknown maintenance.

GD