Ultimate Subaru Message Board

turboing a non turbo ea82

ive never dealt with a turbo swap. i know there is a compression difference, what else would make the swap hard?

i found a turbo setup.. and was wondering if it was worth the trouble

(would be going on my stock 87 wagon ea82 engine with 5 speed)

If you enjoy chunks of metal covered in milkshake then by all means - rip it up.

EA82's are fragile enough. EA82T's are so rediculous that most of us won't own one. A high-comp. EA82T is simply a recipe for disaster. Think holes blown in pistons, collapsed ring lands, etc.

Your crazy for even considering keeping the EA82 - even as a non-turbo. They genuinely suck.

GD

If you enjoy chunks of metal covered in milkshake then by all means - rip it up.

EA82's are fragile enough. EA82T's are so rediculous that most of us won't own one. A high-comp. EA82T is simply a recipe for disaster. Think holes blown in pistons, collapsed ring lands, etc.

Your crazy for even considering keeping the EA82 - even as a non-turbo. They genuinely suck.

GD

and ej swap is looking distant right now...

now that i cleared up my court BS they slap me with a $450 fee and said good bye. i just spent $715 on my tires $60 on a set of rims i now have for sale $100 on the clutch $500 on a ruger sr9 (with goodies, i got attacked by a dog in my own yard the other day and (i sold my 45 and i carry everyday) and its a good tweeker b gone) paid 3 months rent $1950 and finally paid off last months bail from jail cause i missed court witch was $750 plus $200 for impound fees. so im absolutely strapped for cash

ill take your word and let the setup go its own way

and ej swap is looking distant right now...

When your wallet recovers a bit - watch craigslist. Pick up a used 90 tp 94 Legacy for $200 to $300. Dremel the flywheel yourself. Pickup the adaptor for $100 from Rguyver at the show in August. Strip and install the harness yourself. You can have an EJ for less than $1k if you do it smart. With new timing belt, seals, etc.

GD

With all that talk about cash I would just plan on allowing that EA82 to do what it's best at - be cheap transportation - while you try and get ahead and save up money.

+1 to an EA82T swap not being worth it. All the headache, less reliability, good possibility of problems in the future and they're 25 years old and not that powerful.

Don't overheat it or run it out of oil and that EA82 will last a long time. With a few dollars for timing kits and tune up stuff they're reliable. I'd plan on an ebay timing kit in the future and stash some money back for brakes, bearings, alternator, etc - stuff that will be problematic on any vehicle you own.

I think with my EJ22T conversion with tranny, rear 3.9VSLD and all the parts I got with the engine, I'm in it less then $1k and I've had to search for quite a few parts.

Save up and do the EJ conversion. Its not going to be expensive which is why we all do the conversion.:banana:

• 3 weeks later...

gawd can some1 just point me to the ej conversion. I got a 88 subaru with a ea82 and would like an ej. Ive been in and out of the ea82 but never worked on anything subaru but the 82 lol. please some1 send me a link to the ej conversion page.

Like GD says, EA82's are very fragile and cannot handle any boost. And EA82T's... Well, the swap isn't worth it and they have just as many problems. For the cost of the turbo and parts, and the many different internal parts you will go through, you're best to put it towards an EJ swap.

GD

Geez GD, I have two, a SPFI and a Grenade with the pin pulled 'T', they are both doing fine. I just drive them. Don't wheel or race and they have been faithful. Yes they both weep some oil... yes they are not perfect... but they are hardly the piggys you are loathing here. :lol:

I just hate the belts, I hate the ticking, and I've seen more OHC related failures over the years than I care to think about. They are not up to the usual Subaru quality and ease of maintenance that the EA81's and EJ's are. That's not to say that you can't get a lot of miles out of them - I just have always had bad luck with the EA82's. I suppose it doesn't help that I don't find the body style all that attractive either. I tend to use them for their SPFI and 5 speed D/R parts.

This says a lot - I've cut up or taken to the scrap yard at least half a dozen Subaru's now. All of them EA82's and all but two of them were rust free and unwrecked :banana:.

I'm slowely thinning the herd. :lol:

GD

EA82 bodies are good.But if you keep scraping em what are we going to wheel when EA81's become non-existant?

From what I've heard of your wheeling style, the EA81's becoming non-existant enough to affect your wheeling is the least of your problems. But that's just what I've heard... :)

I do agree with you on the EA82 bodies - well the wagons anyways, just long enough to sleep fairly comfortably in the back of (for someone who's 5' 10" anyways - that is). EA81's - not so much.

We don't have rust here. The body is metal..... I can weld and fabricate. I don't see me running out of bodys to wheel anytime soon. :rolleyes:

As to our wheeling style - well that depends on the individual. I have plenty of trail damage myself and I don't mind - wouldn't be fun any other way.

GD

We don't have rust here. The body is metal..... I can weld and fabricate. I don't see me running out of bodys to wheel anytime soon. :rolleyes:

That's what they said about gasoline too. Worked out well, eh?

As to our wheeling style - well that depends on the individual. I have plenty of trail damage myself and I don't mind - wouldn't be fun any other way.

GD

Ah, true, if you're wheeling, there's going to be something bent or broken eventually. But to say it's only fun if things get broken is a bit strange - why don't you just enter a demolition derby and be done with your cars then? :)

• 3 weeks later...
why don't you just enter a demolition derby and be done with your cars then? :)

That's a GREAT idea.....if the powerplant, drivetrain, running gear, and other parts are truly worthless to you :eek:

As for off-road 4-wheeling, bashing up body panels and tearing up yer paint job, exhaust damage or maybe even busting an axle is to be expected ( anyone ever seen an $80,000 Escalade in the woods? )...if you're going to get in the ring, you better not whine about a black eye :lol: my BRAT now needs a replacement tailgate and rear bumper after this Spring's adventures here in 'Bama :banana: