Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello,

I am replaceing my engine in my 2001 Forester, and the replacement engine has a oilfilter cooling canister above the oil filter with 2 lines coming out of it, one to the bottom of the block and the other to the thermostat housing. What this unit for? My old engine doesn`t have it.

Thanks,

Roger

If you are replaceing the water pump and have already bought one then you should probably take it off as the replacement won't have the nipple for the cooler line. But you could just go get the right water pump for that engine and keep the oil cooler.

That's a standard EJ oil cooler style - I have one on my '91 Legacy Sport Sedan - it was eqiupped from the factory.

GD

If the cooler is removed, then not only the water pump will have to be replaced, but also the coolant return plug for the block will have to be purchased and installed. As well as a shorter stub for the oil filter to screw onto.

Believe me, much easier to purchase an automatic water pump.

Thanks gentlemen,

I have another question. I`m going to have the head gaskets, valve cover,spark plug seals, timing belt and water pump replaced, are there any other gaskets or seals I need to have replaced? And what about the timing belt tenchiner? And the clutch/presure plate has 55,000 miles on it, are the after market ones ok to use. The motor has 70,000 miles on it.

And I want to check the compresion does it matter which way I turn the motor? I have it out on a stand.