Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to adjust my speedometer

i got a ticket the other day for speeding and the officer and i had different opinions on how fast i was going, so he told me to get my speedometer adjusted and show the judge reciepts and my ticket might get dropped. i have an 87 hatch w/ d/r and i put 27'' tires on, so i was wondering if anyone has any idea on how to adjust the speedo for better accuracy.

You can't - they are not adjustable. You can make a chart for your dash that will show you the reading vs. actual speed. Just use an online tire size/speed calulator. It's a percentage so it's not a specific number of MPH - it depends on how fast you are going. It's farther off the faster you go.

The fix is to have a custom speedo cable made with a gear reduction unit spliced into it. This will correct for the size tires you have.

Unfortunately you are responsible for knowing this, and you are responsible for the modifications to your vehicle (tire size change) and knowing how to properly operate it after such a change. Sadly you are screwed as far as the ticket goes because there is nothing wrong with your speedo - the problem is the tires that you installed which is not the car's fault.

GD

they make conversion boxes like GD said, but they aren't cheap. and to have someone else install it is going to be really expensive and to install it yourself will probably mean the judge won't believe you (read below).

i think your chances with the judge are rather small.

if it was this easy to get off - everyone would get a ticket and then claim they had larger tires, it was off, and they fixed it. if it was that easy it would get exploited all the time, that's how the general public is sad to say.

in your case, put regular size wheels/tires back on, that's also a solution.

you can take apart your speedo cluster, and repaint the "corrected for tire size" speeds on the face, put back together.

like if you speedo shows 22 your are moving 25

if it shows 30 you are moving 35

if it shows 48 you are moving 55

if it shows 65 you are moving 75

etc.etc etc depending on your tire.

theres a nifty calculator you can search for % off reading .

i got a ticket the other day for speeding and the officer and i had different opinions on how fast i was going, so he told me to get my speedometer adjusted and show the judge reciepts and my ticket might get dropped. i have an 87 hatch w/ d/r and i put 27'' tires on, so i was wondering if anyone has any idea on how to adjust the speedo for better accuracy.

You're lucky he didn't get you for your badass exhaust too:)

Jacob

P.S. I'm coming through your area again in about an hour. I'll be in a black '06 STI this time, though, in case you get a wave. No Brat:(

Get your speedometer "adjusted"? That's rich. The mechanical knowledge of a common highway patrolman....:rolleyes:

It still won't hurt to go into court, and play "stupid farmer". If you honestly didn't know that you were speeding that much, and it genuinely comes through in your statement; I can't see how you couldn't at least get a reduction. I've gotten out of alot of tickets by claiming to have forgotten my speedo was off that far. It just takes some sincerity. Most any time you go to court you'll at least get a reduction.

Do the math, make yourself a chart, and have it laminated. Take this in to court with you as a sign of good faith. Explain the cost of fixing the speedo, and how it isn't realistic, then offer your "memorization" of the chart as a means to prevent the problem in the future. It means alot that you are now aware of the situation and DOING SOMETHING TO CORRECT IT. Judges are more used to seeing people who just don't give a damn at all.