Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What model Exhaust is this?

rxleone

What size EJ is this exhaust manifold from?

I've never seen an EJ exhaust manifold that doesn't go directly into the cat like that, is it from a smaller displacement engine (EJ15, EJ16, etc)? It's obviously an EFI manifold. If so, would it affect top range power if I made a custom exhaust from the flange before the cat? It seems to be relatively alright.

I wouldn't be asking if it wasn't so cheap - the EJ22 exhaust manifolds are $170 from our Junkyards due to the cats, and I'm not too interested in making my old manifold :)

I've swapped EJ25, EJ22, and EJ18 manifolds, they're all the same layout, bolt pattern, etc...probably the same part (keeping dual port/single port in mind). So yeah, I'd think you can use this for whatever you want, it's going to bolt right up. I left the EJ25 manifold in my current Legacy Lsi when I swapped an EJ18 into the vehicle. All the EJ stuff has always looked the same to me from a layout stand point.

Edited by grossgary

Yep - that's a standard Impreza EJ18/'95 Legacy/EJ25 header and cat sections.

90 to 94 Legacy used a single peice header/cat and then in '96 the EJ22 Legacy's and Impreza's went to single port heads. EJ25 headers look exactly like that right up till like 2006.

GD

Look's like its almost equal-length - I could be mistaken though. Would it still produce the boxer rumble when coupled with a decent exhaust setup? :)

Edited by rxleone

Look's like its almost equal-length - I could be mistaken though. Would it still produce the boxer rumble when coupled with a decent exhaust setup? :)

The newest iteration of NA 2.5L engines has an equal-length header. That doesn't look like it, though. If it is equal length, then people at NASIOC say you can put in a resonator to get back the boxer rumble, but they also say there may be fitment issues around the oil pan. You'll have to read up on it.

Jacob

It will definately bolt up to any EJ-series engine (except the USDM-only single port EJ22) as all EJ-engines have the same exhaust port spacing and bolt pattern (all the way from the EJ15 to the EJ25).

will it bolt to a ej22t?

not all ej, just the NA flavored ones.

will it bolt to a ej22t?

not all ej, just the NA flavored ones.

sure it will. as long as you weren't planning on using the turbo :grin:

and you'd have some clearance issues with the crossmember.

that's the more common EJ N/A exhaust setup. the Y-pipe design used on EAs and first gen legacies is the exception.

and no, stock N/A exhaust doesn't yield much of a rumble. you need very unequal length headers to do that (one side is double the length of the other on a borla header).

and no, stock N/A exhaust doesn't yield much of a rumble. you need very unequal length headers to do that (one side is double the length of the other on a borla header).

A lot like the first gen legacies then no? I will have to check it out. Thanks for your help guys.