Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gl prob

My 88gl is slowly grtting its problems resolved. Here is the latest one. It acts just like a carbed engine with no accelerator pump. Ie if you throttle with a cold engine it will quit and die. If you let up on throttle it will pick up to 1k rpm. Ne1 have something like this and resolved. (it runs fine when warm.) Here are most of what it has had done.

timing kit

jy fuel pump (good pressure)

jy distributor

new plugs and wires

dist cap

jy mas

coil and ignitor from member tested good.

and it is spfi

Its just going to do that. The engine is just cold.

The reason why it does it is because you are flooding it. Not directly and on purpose but because with a cold block the air is thinner. least thats how it was explained to me. somehow it makes a bit of sense.

-Justin

Millage unk guess 170k

compression all cyl 160 or better

no backfire but a weird kind of kickback then it will start. all timing and ignition replaced and settings triple checked.

This tees me off as this engine always started easy even when temp was below freezing.

as far as the comment of flooding engine if it is it must be in controler as this is spfi.

Well I got it going. I rechecked timing belts and tighten them a little. Checked dist and set timing mark on flywheel to #1. put cap on and no go. to get it to start dist had to be set 180deg off??? finally after resetting dist about 3 times it suddenly fired up and purred like it should. New timing light came today so was able set ign timing. sounds good. has a cherry bomb on it. Now if only I can get legacy to run like that.