Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Larger radiator for my EA82T?

Anybody have suggestions for a larger capacity radiator for my GL? With the mods. I've made, it's a real strong runner & a pleasure to drive. Here, where I live near Santa Fe,N.M. roads are either up or down, & under boost it tends to run 200 Deg. or more. Found a V6 BMW rad. that had a good thick core, hoses in the rite place, & roughly the rite dimension. Went back to the wrecker with tools the next day, & it was gone. Ideas appreciated. Thanks, S.

1-800-radiator can order you a Dual Core radiator to fit that car.

Easiest bolt in upgrade.

Otherwise, you just gotta find something that will work.

I have a Legacy radiator in my GL turbo.........'cept it's also got an EJ22 in it.

More ponies than the old EA82T with fewer problems and easier to get parts for.

Yep - EJ22 FTW.

I would be looking at newer Subaru radiators to find something that fits or can be made to fit.

I read on other threads that people are having a hard time getting the dual-core EA82 radiators. People have ordered them and then what they received was not a dual-core.

You might try fitting an EA81 radiator as well. They are dual core and will handle an EJ22 easily. I would imagine they would handle the EA82T as well.

GD

If you want to keep it the stock configuration you could go with a new twin core rad that is in stock in your state

http://www.usaradiator.com/SUBARU--LOYALE--1990.html

As of a couple months ago in stock in NM at 182.00 ( part number 1269 )

My rx has the same issues under boost, you can add an intercooler and there are a couple different ways to go also..tmic,waic etc.

You can also modify the core support to go with a Legacy radiator but you typically have to go to hood pins as you have to cut the support quite a bit.

I read on other threads that people are having a hard time getting the dual-core EA82 radiators. People have ordered them and then what they received was not a dual-core.

I have confirmed that the supply that at least my local 1-800-radiator dealer can get are 2-row brass. The guy personally put his hands on it to verify. (then I decided to EJ my car and didn't order it, but anyhow.....)

EA81 radiators are too tall IIRC, they won't fit in the EA82 body without modification.

Could I Ask if there is not Easy to Find a Custom Radiator Shop in New Mexico? ... or is it more Expensive to Order a Custom Made Radiator?

I Run my EA82 Wagon with a Custom Twin Rows "Made in Honduras" Brass Radiator that was made in a Local Shop just using the original Rad's frame, because here the caribbean Climates makes the engine to Run very Hot with the Single Row one.

Kind Regards.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm runnin' a near new, stock replacement dual core for EA82T, it's for sure thicker than a stock EA82. I'm running a Saab 900 IC in the spare tire location w/ hood scoop. I think if I was to go with a Leg.rad., it would have to be for a EJ 22T, I've looked at the stock EJs, & mine is thicker. I mite' have to look into a custom, just figured they'd be cost prohibitive. I had my rad. out recently, blew out all the bugs & crap & straightened all the fins on it & the AC core., no help. Oil temps not to high I think, holds 50-60 psi @ Interstate speeds w/boost. Thanks again folks,S.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Been a long time since ive posted on this forum because i had sold my turbo wagon.

I have since bought an RX sedan which will very soon have an EJ20G in it.

I am in search of a radiator and i had an idea.

If i were to buy a dual core radiator from the states (they are un-obtainable in Australia) and get it shipped here. As long as it has brass end tanks, i could get the inlet/outlets removed and replaced with larger EJ sized ones.

Does this seem feasible to you?