Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 torque plate- Machining Blocks

Just wanted to let all the ea81 guys/gals know that Dale Green Machine Shop (Auburn WA) has a torque plate to surface/machine the block halves for EA81s. They can build pretty much whatever you could imagine, motor wise. This is where all my machine work is done and I highly recommend them.

Just got mine back and looks pretty. Waiting for exchange day to come...

Lets see how many people are interested in having a motor built/resurfaced and next time I go in ask them about getting us a deal, USMB members.

Mods move this if its in the wrong forum. thanks.

I've never come across a block that required surfacing. The casting is thick and they are closed deck engines. Was this just done because you felt it was required or was the surface checked against a machinists straight edge and found to be warped?

Typically the heads are surfaced and that is all. I've done this quite a number of times and never had a single issue with head gaskets or otherwise.

The block is consructed in such a way that I would be very concerned about the main journals and cam journals being out-of-whack if the block surface under the heads were radically warped. At which point the block would be trash.

GD

Don't you mean a Torque plate for Boring the cylinders,can't see how you could fit a Torque plate to machine the mating surfaces of the 2 engine halves as it would get in the way of the machining if it was to be useful torque wise after all any loads you try to duplicate here are all but impossible to achieve with the design of a split case engine,you just check for a flat surface and reface if needed then line bore for the cam and crank.