Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL wagon, few questions...

I'm fairly new to the automotive world, and to this fourm, so... Hello!

I wanted to discuss a few problems, so it might be a big post...

I got myself an 87 GL wagon in November with 202K on the odometer, and it ran pretty awesome. It started like a dream at -20ºF :)

It now has 210,815(and is stuck there because the speedometer cable died 2 days ago)

It's running a little rough, but I suspect the ignition system is just worn out.

However, now that it's a bit warmer, it's been idling weird. The choke functions normally at start up, but after a little driving the idle hops up to 2K That's denting my miles per gallon just a little bit. The carb was replaced right before I got the car,

I replaced the air filter yesterday, and it seemed to just idle a little higher.

I haven't tried adjusting the idle screw because it idles normally when it's just getting warm, and I don't want to make it worse.

Also, the 3AT is kinda starting to suck. I'd really like to do a 5 speed D/R swap if I can find a decent transmission to use.

Also, how troublesome/costly is the EJ swap? I don't have a lot of cash on hand, but I may have a slightly wrecked, but still strong running 1996 Legacy L sedan available, provided it doesn't get traded for bodywork and paint job on my mum's brat.

A while after I got it, someone was kind enough to slam in to my car when I was pulling through an intersection. I was going about 3 mph, and someone hit me at about 25. It popped into neutral, and a couple veins in my forehead. Luckily it was just a Datsun B210, so the damage wasn't too extreme

However, the tail of my car is a little saggy now

0511001826.jpg

I tried jacking it up by the bumper and jumping on the car didn't budge it.

How much work is that going to be?

*edit* Yes, that's a different hatch, but it's not from the Datsun. When loading very large old servers into my car, it experienced some strut failure and the corner of the computer went though the window. So the best solution was a hatch from the junkyard! It almost matches, I think it's off an 88.

Edited by Ryuko91

Open the little smugglers trunk and you will see two access holes on each side. Thise are for the rear bumper bolts. Loosen the four bolts, realign the bumper and tighten them back up and you will be done. I had a similar situation and didn't realize that was the problem until I was ready to replace the bumper. Saved me some money.

hello, and welcome to the wonderful world of Subaru's! Looks like you have a relativley clean (rust free) wagon there. :)

honestly, i am a little surprised that your 87 GL is still carbed - most were SPFI (Single Point Fuel Injection) by that year... a DL maybe, but GL? stranger things have happened tho...

Start with the basics if they are due - new plugs, wires, disty cap & rotor.

Would also be thinking about doing the timing belts - they should be done every 80,000 according to the "scheduled maintenance" - if you dont know when they were done last, you may be driving on borrowed time there...

an EJ swap is a bit more involved than I personally would like to get into, but many have done it - it does require an adapter plate to mount up the tranny tho.

If it really is a carbed model, an SPFI conversion would go a long ways toward improving things and a tad bit easier to do. Up to you tho.

That is the nice thing about these cars - they are kind of like legos - you can swap parts in & out fairly easily! :grin:

for your rear bumper - i bet if you look underneath,you will see where the mounts are bent - a BFH will go a lot further to straightening that out than jacking it up by the bumper will.

honestly, i am a little surprised that your 87 GL is still carbed - most were SPFI (Single Point Fuel Injection) by that year... a DL maybe, but GL? stranger things have happened tho...

87 DL FWD = SPFI

87 GL FWD = SPFI

87 DL 4wd = SPFI

87 GL 4wd *CAL*=SPFI

87 GL 4wd *49 state* = CARB! FTL

Here it is, powered by a tire.:banana:

0518001605.jpg

According to Wikipedia the horsepower gains wouldn't be much swapping to SPFI

Horsepower:

Carb - 84 bhp (63 kW; 85 PS) @ 5200 RPM

SPFI - 90 bhp (67 kW; 91 PS) @ 5600 RPM

I think replacing the fan on the water pump with an electric fan would give me close to the same horsepower boost. I'd like the MPFI, but I'd rather go through the EJ swap. I like how fast my legacy was, and my wagon weighs a lot less than the legacy.

My main problem is when traveling on the interstates, it's screaming at 4k rpms, which makes me want the 5 speed. Plus I like to go offroading, so the lower gears would be a big plus.

As for the bumper, I looked in the little storage compartments, and I didn't see any bolt heads or anything, but it is pretty dirt caked in there...

Yeah, I have no idea when the timing belts were changed last. I need to pull the covers off and see how horrible they look. I tried to contact the guy who had it before me, but he wanders allover the place, and is impossible to get a hold of. It took me a month to get the title.

Someone suggested just buying a completed car, but I want to get the experience in. I've been building computers for years, and I've done a lot of work on my parents brat.

That said, if anyone has a computer question, they can PM me.

When you look in the little trunk, look at the sides and you will see two rubber grommetts and underneath them are the bolts you need o work on. If you can'tfind them let me know and I will take a picture of mine.

You would love the EJ swap in that thing.

SPFI would kinda be a waste.

You'd still be stripping a harness and wiring in a fuel injection pump and all that.

All you need for an EJ swap beyond that is the adapter and a machined flywheel.

BTW, I am just inland on Hwy. 20 over the hills in Corvallis. I have adapters and Flywheels. And I have done several SPFI and EJ swaps if you just need pointers or if you're over your head or just straight want to hire someone to do it all.

Send me a Private Message (PM) here on the board if you want to know more.

Oh yeah, I also have lift kits:grin:

I'll probably do an EJ swap in the near future. I'd love to do a 2" lift as well. I need to keep an eye out for a 5 speed D/R.

However, currently, I'm still having problems with the idle. It idles great at start up and it chokes normally when cold, and after it warms up the idle shoots up to about 2000 rpms. I look the air cleaner off and the choke didn't look like it was on, or partially on. What's up with that?

The bumper is just going to need the BFH tactic, it's pretty bent.

The choke spring is probably shot. Someone turned up the idle speed so it would idle cold but once it warms it climbs to the unaturally high idle speed of 2k RPM. You will likely have to replace the choke spring.

But a better solution is to go with a Weber carb or do that EJ swap you are talking about.

GD

I have an 86 GL, EA82 with a 5spd.......Had the same idle issue, as well as a few others. I put a rebuild kit in the carb, and shortened the throttle return spring a bit, and it's all better now. You might want to put some wd40 or something up the cable, it helped my clutch cable a lot...Now on to wheel bearings.....:mad:

It idles really well when it's raining, or after it's rained. Or even when it's just about 50ºF outside. When it gets about 70º, it seems to jump up there. The engine temp stays right where it needs to be though, so I don't know that it's the thermometer.

It idles slightly rough usually, but I ordered new plugs+wires , cap and rotor and a new coil.

Does anyone have an extra spedo cable for a 3AT? The car I'm getting parts off of around here was a 5 speed, but it got crushed. :-\

-->Here's an album with some pictures of the car.<--

**I would be very interested in buying a speedometer cable from someone

Would one from a manual work? I know they're longer, but are the ends the same size and whatnot?

My muffler is completely useless now, but I found one with the following specs. It's a dynomax turbo muffler. Is it worth the 60 bucks, or is there a better option out there?

Inlet Diameter (in) 2.500 in.

Inlet Location Offset

Outlet Diameter (in) 2.500 in.

Case Shape Oval

No real luck with the BFH technique, so I pulled off the bumper and it doesn't look like anything's bent on the car, so I'm just going to get a "new" one.

So much dirt came out of that thing, it was astounding. I was expecting more rust back there, but it's just some surface rust.