Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Heads

So, went to drive the 84 GL to work today, and it really doesn't like starting cold ever, but it hasn't been below freezing here since I got the car home over the weekend. Made the trip from Denver to central Wyoming without a hitch.

And today when I started it, white smoke, in quantity, with the smell of antifreeze. Car's not even a week old. Now you all will get to sample my unbelievably bad luck first hand.

So, do I buy the gasket set and hope for no cracks, or do I man up and buy heads? Is this enough like a Beetle, that since I have the heads off, I may as well toss new pistons in? :horse:

Guess I need to call Shawn and find out about that 5-speed and the cross-members and stuff earlier than I had intended. Sigh.

They can be a pain in the neck if you aren't used to them. I've had problems with the quality of the rebuild parts that are availible. If I were you I would be putting on a Weber. The stock carbs are gutless and I can't even bear to drive around with one personally. Plus the Weber really cleans up the engine bay - starts to look a lot like an old Chevy truck under the hood.

GD