Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have a 2000 Outback Sedan with 102K. Last week the ABS light came on while at a light and the guages started going nuts. Remember this from my 97 Outback Wagon. In looking up the part online it seems Subaru changed the Mfg production. What should I be looking for in addition to the Mfg. The # of pully grooves? Subaru says #23700AA31A and pully #23752AA060. I don't remember all of this from the 97 purchase.

Before you go replacing, get it tested. Most auto parts stores will do it for free.

Make sure all power and ground connections are tight and clean.

If you find that it does in fact need replacement.

http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=2434

I think I'd go for an after market unit with a warranty at that price.

Make sure they use the old analog type tester. the digital ones are worthless and miss altenators that are borderline as techs (and autoparts people) have no clue how to read them.

If you go aftermarket find a real shop to buy a rebuilt from, not a chain.

nipper

With your lights and gauges going nuts, it reminds me of my old VW that did the same thing. Turned out to be a bad cell in the battery. The car surprisingly would start, but run poorly with low voltage in the system. The low voltage is what causes the gauges to go nuts.

As someone else advised, go to a car parts store, where the counter guy will come out to the parking lot to test the charging system and battery on your car at no cost. You need to do this very soon, or risk getting stranded with a car that won't start or run.

I put a new battery in a few weeks ago from Costco-Kirkland brand which seems to last pretty good. This is the third battery since buying it new. So I'm doing pretty good.

All this only happens when I have A/C w/blower running, wipers, and turn signals on. And of course sitting still. I have DRL's so can't kill the lights. I use the car as my beater during the summer as the A/C works great vs my $55K Suburban that's a big POS!!

I remember all of this on my 97 OBW, but Subaru had issues with them that year too. But don't remember the pully groove issue. I replaced it with an OEM at the time as the aftermarket ones were pretty expensive.

I'll take it to a Auto Zone or Advanced Auto this weekend and have them test it. The terminals are spotless. For 102K and everything else working I think I'm doing pretty good. This is our 3rd Subaru and all have been bullet proof.

I'll keep you posted on what's happening.