Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who has put CD player in 90-94 loyale?

I have a 93 loyal I am working on..it's a cherry with 40k on it

The radio is gone and so is the plastic factory face plate

Anyone have pics showing how an aftermarket am/fm CD player looks and fits in that slot?

thanks

P1000937.jpg

Like that?

hey sorry to hijack, but how did you hook up your rev/tach counter? my one doesnt have one, and always wanted to put one in. Did you buy the unit here in NZ?

Tom.

Easy... Got the tach from Repco, was cheap as chips, about $30 or something...

It's got four wires. Power, earth, lights, and the tach signal wire. I got the power and earth from the stereo wiring, ran the light switch wire from a wire off the fusebox (I think, it's been a while) that went hot when the lights were switched on, and then just ran a wire from the positive (again, not the best memory, so may be the negative) side of the coil, back through a grommet, up into the dash.

Easy as. It's all in the instructions anyways, so if you get stuck, they're pretty straightforward.

It's a cheap tach, I think the brand was Trico or something? Seems to do alright though, it's been in there for about nine or ten months and still runs fine, if not a little hard to see at night.

I have a 93 loyal I am working on..it's a cherry with 40k on it

The radio is gone and so is the plastic factory face plate

Anyone have pics showing how an aftermarket am/fm CD player looks and fits in that slot?

thanks

I'm a stereo guy. The stock deck is too shallow, so the kits for the aftermarket replacements are spaced an inch or more. Metra makes a dash kit and harness for it.

Easy... Got the tach from Repco, was cheap as chips, about $30 or something...

It's got four wires. Power, earth, lights, and the tach signal wire. I got the power and earth from the stereo wiring, ran the light switch wire from a wire off the fusebox (I think, it's been a while) that went hot when the lights were switched on, and then just ran a wire from the positive (again, not the best memory, so may be the negative) side of the coil, back through a grommet, up into the dash.

Easy as. It's all in the instructions anyways, so if you get stuck, they're pretty straightforward.

It's a cheap tach, I think the brand was Trico or something? Seems to do alright though, it's been in there for about nine or ten months and still runs fine, if not a little hard to see at night.

Thanks very much man, just what I needed to hear. Was thinking of doing the dash swap but aparently its a hell of a job. Like the size of yours- dont want a big one with a dam shift light etc lol

Thanks very much man, just what I needed to hear. Was thinking of doing the dash swap but aparently its a hell of a job. Like the size of yours- dont want a big one with a dam shift light etc lol

I don't think the dash swap is too bad, unless you're swapping a digi-dash in. The earlier EA82 Leone dash-swap is one of my up-and-coming projects after the EJ22 and lift, so I'll keep you posted and tell you how it goes :)

Also, if I were going to do the separate tach idea again, I probably wouldn't put it where I did. It's pretty annoying having to look over at your tach - would be better on the dash somewhere around the gauge cluster.

I don't think the dash swap is too bad, unless you're swapping a digi-dash in. The earlier EA82 Leone dash-swap is one of my up-and-coming projects after the EJ22 and lift, so I'll keep you posted and tell you how it goes :)

Also, if I were going to do the separate tach idea again, I probably wouldn't put it where I did. It's pretty annoying having to look over at your tach - would be better on the dash somewhere around the gauge cluster.

oh ok, interesting. guess its a fine line between praticality and not looking like a knob boy racer. Sweet as - I drove a ej22 the other week but in a legacy - it would go awesome in the leone, will certianly have see your progress!

Looks like Ben beat me to the picture posting :-p

2010_0525Test0001.jpg

I see we have similar or the same kits. Though i dont have the cubby under mine just an empty hole. Mine came with the car when i bought it. The aftermarket tape deck stereo was from the early 90s so i have a way earlier production kit. They didnt have wireing adapters either because it was hardwired to the original harness. It didnt work anymore so i took it out and replaced it with this.

I see we have similar or the same kits. Though i dont have the cubby under mine just an empty hole. Mine came with the car when i bought it. The aftermarket tape deck stereo was from the early 90s so i have a way earlier production kit. They didnt have wireing adapters either because it was hardwired to the original harness. It didnt work anymore so i took it out and replaced it with this.

Theres a wire kit for these!? I just hard wired it to the OE wiring, I did the same with the Lego.

• 2 weeks later...
There should be a wire kit for your legacy at the very least. You want the wire kit good sir so you dont hack up your wireing. It makes it easier to wire in the factory radio again if you decide to take it out.

yeah, that makes it way easier, if you change decks enough youlll run out of wire! :D

Edited by xbeerd

I am just making a surround myself out of two pieces of 3/4" mdf glued together. I had the MDF kicking around, and it's not hard to measure, cut and sand :grin: I will paint it a nice, tough black and it will look real nice when I am done. I just don't see the point in paying $15 for a kit, when you can use wood for free :lol:

No harness here, harnesses are for pussies :lol::grin: My car didn't come with a radio at all, just a bunch of cut wires in the dash :-\ Took a while, but I figured out all the wires and wired it in. Granted it's "hacked" in, but you can't see it behind the unit once it's installed, so who cares?!?

Granted if the harness was still intact when I got the car, I might have been a little more inclined to buy a harness. But then again, it's a 20 year old car, so who really cares, as long as it doesn't catch on fire :lol:

Id find a smaller radio that is shallow that just has the AUX input and toss some money at an Ipod or similar device. CD's are fast becoming obselete too.

yeah, thats why i still have the stock AM/FM deck. FM transmitter works great in my car, even overpowers actual radio stations.

Any decent HU is going to be about that deep, regardless if it has a CD player or not. It's kinda become a standard in the stereo industry. So instead of putting in a CD player, they add bluetooth radios and HD radios and stuff, and all that electronic crap has to fit somewhere, so they put it where the CD player was, since they have to keep it that size anyway. They make them the same size because once you install the kit, you can just buy a better decent radio and not have to worry about wether or not its going to fit, and hassling with a new kit. Keep in mind I did say a decent HU, and I am talking about the ones over $100, even at walmart, not your $20 schmucks special ;)

Most still include a CD player because alot of people still have CD's as well. Not as many as a few years ago, but most people don't want to take the time to convert everything to digital. I know several people with HUGE CD collections that haven't gone digital. I have an iphone I use as my ipod, and I have 30,000 mp3's on my computer, so I don't fit into this category, I am just saying there is still a demand for CD's believe it or not.

Anybody that has had their car broken into for the CDs or CD player will appreciate a simpler radio with aux jack and taking their ipod with them. I agree CD player is still nice its just not something I would invest in a car in 2010. Somebody posted in the last month a really nice basic radio they got at WalMart or something I will keep looking for that link.