Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this dangerous?

My 86' gl threw a rod and only runs on 3 cylinders. Its in bend and i would need to drive it over the mountain pass to get it home haha. i get a strong odor of raw fuel and im afraid it might explode or something... should i drive it back or scrap it?

I wouldn't neccesarily believe the first inclination of a dealership tech - for one they are in the business of working on and selling newer Subaru's. And for another they probably don't even *want* to work on an EA82.

It could simply be that it has a very loud lifter tick (which can sound like a rod bearing on an EA82).

Fact is - I have never seen or heard of a single documented case of a rod bearing failure that didn't result in the rod blowing a hole in the top of the block.

GD

I wouldn't neccesarily believe the first inclination of a dealership tech - for one they are in the business of working on and selling newer Subaru's. And for another they probably don't even *want* to work on an EA82.

It could simply be that it has a very loud lifter tick (which can sound like a rod bearing on an EA82).

Fact is - I have never seen or heard of a single documented case of a rod bearing failure that didn't result in the rod blowing a hole in the top of the block.

GD

i know what lifter tick sounds like and trust me its not that.. cylinder 3 has no compression

Sounds like a piston or valvetrain issue. Rod bearing wouldn't cause that anyway.

If the rod itself failed and the piston isn't moving then it would - but I agree - more detailed inspection is needed. A "Rod bearing failure" will result in a broken rod. But 99% of the time they smash a hole in the block under the manifold - spraying oil and coolant everywhere.

GD

I am a Mechanic in Corvallis, OR.

If you can get it towed over, I've got several EA82 shortblocks. One even that's got brand new rings and bearings less than 5k miles ago.

I have a truck and flatbed, and could tow it for you if you can't find a decent price.

As for dangerous to drive?. I don't htink it's a danger to you. But you could end up with destroyed heads as well as the bottom end.

I guess I need to elaborate a lttle.

You stated you have to go through the pass. That will put additional stresses on the engine. Which, when it blows will cause you to lose engine power. Which will then over-heat. Which will then spew coolant/oil all over the place. (Environmental issue) Now, you have a disabled vehicle on said mountain pass. (Dangerous to everyone around you)

Rick, before they go through the block they are very noisy. Most do result in block destruction in the end. More useless destruction. This is the stupid part. Rent a trailer or take Gloyale up on his offer. But, DO NOT DRIVE IT ANY WHERE!

I am a Mechanic in Corvallis, OR.

If you can get it towed over, I've got several EA82 shortblocks. One even that's got brand new rings and bearings less than 5k miles ago.

I have a truck and flatbed, and could tow it for you if you can't find a decent price.

As for dangerous to drive?. I don't htink it's a danger to you. But you could end up with destroyed heads as well as the bottom end.

how much for a shortblock? Is this dan's independent subaru repair?

how much for a shortblock? Is this dan's independent subaru repair?

yup.

I got a couple I could sell for $75 bucks. High miles but running.

Or I got one with less than 5k on the rebuilt bottom end. $200

Or I could EJ it for ya :wink::grin::banana::)

yup.

I got a couple I could sell for $75 bucks. High miles but running.

Or I got one with less than 5k on the rebuilt bottom end. $200

Or I could EJ it for ya :wink::grin::banana::)

how much for you to haul it back on a flatbed...? just curious

GD

1. Dealer service techs are used to working on the newer Subarus but that doesnt limit their abilities, knowledge or experience. I did it for 2 years and while I agree many techs don't know squat about anything 1990 or older you can't make a wide statement for all of them. Its not only wrong but its rude and unnecessary.

2. I agree it could be a loud lifter tick but if it gets worse as the engine warms up and is driven harder its likely to be the rod bearing.

3. I just had the engine in my 2009 WRX replaced because the engine developed a rod bearing noise. Yes it was the rod bearing, yes I saw the crankshaft they took out of my old shortblock, and no it did not go thru the top of the block. Again, exaggerated by you. People that listen to their engine, hear a strange noise and shut it off before it tosses the rod thru the case are out there and I saw numerous ones at the dealership. Verified thru teardown and visable damage to the rod bearing itself.

This motor could make it over the mountain but why would you risk it. Get a tow rope, tow truck, or fix the engine on the side of the mountain that it is currently on if possible. Why ruin an engine that could be rebuilt.

I wasn't trying to be rude - just saying that the dealer tech's don't train on the old stuff much if at all.

And he says it has zero compression on #3 - if the rod wasn't broken then that likely wouldn't be the case.

While it could be a rod, it could also be a severe valve train issue.

I would at least pull the valve cover and look.

While it is true that you can stop running the engine before a rod knock develops into a broken rod, that is the exception rather than the rule. More so on the EA's it would seem. I've heard a lot more stories of EJ rod knocks that didn't result in block damage (and a few that did) than I have heard of on the EA's. Even my relatively keen ear and penchant for maintenance didn't catch one a few years ago before the rod punched out the block on the freeway.

GD