Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stripped CV Axle Threads

My front CV axle has stripped threads. The castle nut sheared through the Kotter pin in the process. Not sure how this happened, but the axle / CV joints were replaced eight months ago. I would blame the mechanic, but since that was me, well......

Anyway, I happen to have a rear CV half shaft laying around with good threads. Instead of getting yet another whole half shaft, I was wondering if I could simply swap the wheel hub end from the rear axle to the front one.

And yes, it is on Murphy, the $500 87 Turbo Wag..... It's why I call 'er Murphy. Strange things like this always seem to go wrong.

My front CV axle has stripped threads. The castle nut sheared through the Kotter pin in the process. Not sure how this happened, but the axle / CV joints were replaced eight months ago. I would blame the mechanic, but since that was me, well......

Anyway, I happen to have a rear CV half shaft laying around with good threads. Instead of getting yet another whole half shaft, I was wondering if I could simply swap the wheel hub end from the rear axle to the front one.

And yes, it is on Murphy, the $500 87 Turbo Wag..... It's why I call 'er Murphy. Strange things like this always seem to go wrong.

the front and rear outer ends are not the same, you will need a front to fix the front.

Is there any possibility of running a die over the threads and cleaning them up enough to use?

A metric thread file is a useful thing to have anyway - about $25 or so. They can be used to clean up buggered up threads.

If the threads are totally gone, or can't be repaired easily with a die or thread file - it's going to be cheapest to just replace the axle. $65 will buy a new EMPI replacement and while the old axle could be fixed, it is not going to be cost effective considering the price of a replacement and the labor would be the same since removal and installation will be required either way.

Rear axles do no use the same system - they are splined on both ends like the front inner joint. They cannot be used in the front.

GD

It has to be a turbo axle unless the car is a 3AT automatic. The inner joint is a 25 spline on turbo's vs. a 23 spline on non-turbo's.

The hub (lug nut part) is the same on all 4-lug EA81's and EA82's.

GD

I was thinking about replacing the outer CV joint cup, the part with the threads. I rally don't want to replace the whole half shaft if I can help it.