Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 06 legacy auto trans is acting up

This car has had for a few months now a few noticeable problems , most not very consistent. I have checked the atf and it looks ok, I had it changed about 15k ago. The most frequent thing is if I back up then shift to D it takes a few seconds before I can feel the gear catch. If I take a corner, when I step on the gas I can feel the trans clunk into gear, this happens about 25% of turns. Its under an extd warranty and I am going to bring it into the dealer but I always expect them to say it didnt do a thing when they tested it. Any advice appreciated.

Your problem may be similar to problem encountered with 99 and 00 Legacies. Their trany is reluctant to switch gears from R to D. A can of Trans-X may help you.

Suggest you go to Search on this forum and read an old thread titled "Fixed!! Delayed trany forward engagement. I wrote this thread about 2 years ago, and Trans-X continues to help my trany.

How many miles are on it?

I don't think the delayed engagement isn't typical of your year so that might not be the first step to pursue.

I think the dealer will likely walk around this one too, but get it in there and give them a chance. See if you can drive in it with them. Or maybe being an extended warranty the dealer will see $$$$ and be glad to exercise the option to extract money from an insurance company? :lol:

It has a bit over 40k. I am going to give the dealer a try , see how that goes. The dealer has been very quick to do warranty work for any problems. I had a little plastic silver tab on a vent missing, they replaced the whole upper console.

that's really low miles for any glitches.

have you ever had any check engine lights or engine work done?

all your tires match in size and tread depth, have been rotated?

there's only a few simple trans fixes so keep Roosters comments fresh in your mind.

Double check the fluid level, those are sometimes symptoms of low levels. Especially the Cluck when turning. The fluid sloshes away from the bottom of the pan and the pump looses pressure because there isn't enough fluid to be picked up.

Check it hot on a level area with the engine running and run it though all the gears first pausing for a couple of seconds in 1st, 2nd, 3rd D and R while applying the brakes. This fills the valve body in all the nooks and crannies.