Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 98 OBW, has developed a creaky strut bearing on driver's side. I have heard the strut bearing is sometimes called the "top hat." Any suggestions on how to quiet the creaky sound?

Strut still performs well, so not interested in swapping out the strut, just to get rid of the annoying noise.

Thanks for suggestions.

I just fixed this last year. Everyone I saw was just replacing top hats, and I didn't see anyone else doing this but it worked. I have a needle attachment for my greasegun (available at any autoparts store), and used that to inject grease all in the bearings. Gradually smoothed out and been driving it since with no noise now. Mine was really rusty, crusty and popping/noisy because it sat outside for awhile eventhough the struts were brand new. get some grease in there and you'll be golden.

What you need is some HHS-2000 made by Wurth. It's spray on grease that soaks into tight spaces (can almost be used as a penetrant (is that a word? :confused: )) then sets into a high temp high tack waterproof grease that is perfect for hinges, latches, cables, and light to moderate load bearings. I put it on the rollers of my buddies engine crane which has always been a PITA to move, now the thing will try to roll away on it's own if there's no load on it.