Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Semi-rebuild/refresh question EA82

I've got an extra EA82 long block laying around, but it's far from perfect. It's got 180k, zero compression in one cylinder, and low in the other three, and two crummy headgaskets. I'm looking to re-build it but I've got some questions first.

I was looking at older posts that say after many miles, the cylinder walls are usually still good (you can see cross-hatching) but do they ever warp?

Is this just a situation where I put in some new rings, resurface the heads, change the gaskets/seals (including headgaskets) and I'm good?

Because for the cost for a minor bore, it's not worth it.

Unless I knew for certain the engine was Way overheated,and was kept that way for a lenght of time,I wouldn't do a thing to the block except to clean the head gasket sealing surface. It's not worth the trouble to split the block when good ones can be had for cheap or free.

I spend all my time on the heads,resealing the oil pump,front and back main seal and timing components. I generally do take the heads to a machine shop to be shaved and washed. Mostly because they come back clean and pretty much ready to bolt on.

Well, it was ran for a while when really hot. Until I heard knocking. I don't know what I've done because I haven't cracked it open yet.

Also, if my cylinder walls are a bit wavy, is it possible just to get some new rings and run it? Or will it not run right at all?