Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Swap for EJ257

scoobindude84

I would like to put an STI engine in my '84 scoob. The hardest part to figure out is what type of gearbox I should use since I would like to keep it a 4x4. I know using a conversion plate to the tranny isn't going to be sufficient by any means since the EA81's gearbox has no where the capabilities to handle that HP in from the EJ257. If anyone has some thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

That's a LOT of work. More than you understand I suspect. Almost nothing about the EA81 will work - everything will have to be modified. The suspention and brakes will not handle that much power even if you do get it moving.

If you aren't working on this project full time - figure probably 6 months of down-time minimum to get it on the road. Probably that much again to work out all the bugs.

GD

If I can plan this right, it's still going to take a couple of years for the project to be completed. The mods won't even really start untill I can decide how exactly I'm going to do this. The only way I think I'm going to be able to keep 4x4 true is getting a custom transmission built. I'm planning on lifting it, so thats not a big deal. I don't really want to rally it, but it is an option I'm still keeping out there. The suspention's going to be pretty tricky and most of all, time consuming, considering it's all gonna have to be custom for the most part. Can't really use an EA series because yeah, it's gonna blow up. So you all think I should put in the matching tranny? It would make sense, but do you think it's going to be close enough to a 4x4 transmission for me?

You have the wrong plan. You don't want forced induction on your lifted rig. Too much electronics, and the power band is all wrong.

If you are going to lift it - stick with the EA81 converted to SPFI, or go with a non-turbo EJ22.

A 300 HP engine on a lifted subaru will do nothing useful except break itself and everything around it.

Custom transmission!?! How much money do you have? And if you have what that would take why aren't you looking to buy something that has real potential like a Unimog or Pinz?

I have a friend with an EJ22 powered Brat - it's exclusively for Rally racing. He also owns an STi. He's been doing the racing thing for a while and he doesn't use the STi - it's too much power and it's really just not any fun at all - 1/4 throttle will put it sideways - it does donuts really well but is very difficult to control. I sugest you go drive one before you commit to having 300 HP in any Subaru - especially one that doesn't have the brakes or suspension to handle it.

My prediction - IF you get an STi engine in your car, and IF you then get it running and driveing (I give this about a 1% chance) then you'll probably kill yourself in short order. 99% chance though that it never happens at all. You are talking about something that would cost $10,000 just in parts - many thousands more to do the job right and if you even have to consider "having custom work" done like transmissions, etc - you probably don't want to ask what something like that will cost. By the time you are done you will have spent what an STi would cost and you will have a completely un-saleable machine. No one wants someone else's project car - especially something that's been built all wacky with a hodge-podge of parts that make no sense like STi engines and lift kits. Those don't go together. You would be flushing money straight down the toilet. You need some experience with lifted Subaru's AND with STi's in order to find out what makes a sensible and effective machine. What you are consider is neither.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

To put it less negatively and more simply:

DOHC heads don't fit between EA81 framerails.

6MT's don't fit in EA81 transmission tunnels

R200 may fit in the rear with some work.

You will have to remove and reweld a large portion of the firewall/floorpan and both front framerails, create a hodgepodge of a front suspension to use the EJ knuckles, axles, and brakes with the EA lower control arm.

It would be easier to get a STI and chop the roof and the trunk off and turn it into a brat style body.