Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well i am putting in new head gaskets in my 99 OBW and they sent a thin one and the old ones were thick and like 4 plates, it only had 139,000km but when they ran it low on trans fluid the heat from slipping, low on fluid (rev and not going anywhere) went into the cooling system and it over heated, so i call Beck Arnley tech support and they call back later oh sorry buddy our fault the kit should have been labeled for a 05-07 2.5 so i had already torqued with new bolts etc and now have to re pull it all. anywho new shat here tomorrow and the parts store is going to replace the bolts and supplement gaskets under warranty. but after how hard is it to add a turbo to this motor , and where to get it, or plain old just dont bother? thanks, yes i did some searching

Don't know how to break this to you gently, but common wisdom says to use only Subaru OEM head gaskets on the EJ25. You might want to stop and do some reading here on USMB before proceeding.

Good luck, hope the aftermarket ones work out for you if you go ahead with them.

adding a turbo is relatively easy. getting it to work right...:lol:. how much money and time and skills do you have to throw at this thing?

adding a turbo will require fabricating and welding to make an exhaust. or buying a turbo engine crossmember and exhaust to swap in place. but bolting one on doesnt' get you a turbo that works.

you should read up on how a turbo works, others that have done it, and get a feel for engine management options, blow off valves, EGT's, et.a. it's not like you buy a turbo and bolt it on and you're good to go.

you're talking about turboing a non-turbo engine with high compression pistons. it *can* be done but in general is a poor idea, or you better do it right or you'll be destroying stuff regularly. so the cheaper, easier, band aids for forced induction engine management start to be less forgiving and attractive. you'd want to monitors your EGT's closely or just buy like 5 motors and swap them out as they blow up, not a bad option for like say EA82's. :lol: it's a good idea to have turbo pistons in the short block, so it's best to get a turbo short block or rebuild yours with turbo pistons.

we haven't mentioned the propensity for that engine to blow head gaskets. have you typed in "EJ25 head gasket" on a search here or google and seen all the EJ25 head gasket issues? not sure if you're familiar with that. an engine that already has a propensity to blow headgaskets probably doesn't need more heat and stress thrown at it.

most folks on here highly recommend using Subaru OEM headgaskets, they redesigned these due to the headgasket issue and aftermarket is not a good fit for the EJ25.