Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Toyota sr5 wheels

brysawn

So today I got a set of perfect Toyota 4runner sr5 wheels, for free. Yes, free!

But, they have an odd center section where I will need to drill my holes for my 4 lug.

Has anyone used these wheels? And is it okay to have it so that 2 lugs that are recessed (where the factory lugs go) and the other 2 not?

Here are a picture of the wheels:

P7120028.jpg

with aluminum rims I would convert to 6 lug,rather than drill them if thats what you mean.

No that's not really the issue. The part where I need to drill my holes for my 4 lug (the 2 extra holes) won't be recessed like the others. Is that okay?

other than needing longer studs to the non recessed area...

if you drill into the rims in those spots there wont be alot of material off to the sides because of the large recesses.I know steel rims can take the extra stress but I am not sure about aluminum rims.Besides it will look alot nicer if you drill your hubs rather than the rims.Normally I'm not one to talk about nice looking mods with my subaru being a beat up functional rig...

I am just worried about the center portion of those rims shearing off if you drill them.However, do what you want,but remember its not just your life your endangering but everyone else sharing the road with you.

Look I am poor.I can barely go play as it is.When something breaks on my rig it might be months before I can go play again.I redrilled my steel rims because I didn't want to pay for new studs after converting to 6 lug.However if I was going to put aluminum rims on my car I would spring for the extra studs and convert to 6 lug.

whats right isn't always the easiest path.

True. The aluminum on the wheel is at least 1/2" thick, so I don't know if that would be an issue or not. I'm just looking to see if anyone has remained 4-lug on this wheel (or one with a similar situation) and what they did.

i would strongly recommend not drilling the wheels!

if you really want to use these wheels iwould drill the hubs out and knock out the 2 studs that dont line up, drill the 4 extra holes knock the 2 studs in 2 of those holes and go to the part store buy the extra studs and install in the 2 remaining holes.

Bam! 6 lug conversion.

i did it on my 86 wagon, love it, good conversation piece. but try and get the right drill size, mine was a little to big and now after 7 years of running them i need to weld the studs in.

to drill the hubs just knock out the 2 studs bolt the wheel on with the 2 remaining studs and lugnuts then either mark your hub or drill through the wheel just be careful not to drill the wheel or get a steel wheel from a wrecking yard as your drill template. any 6 on 5.5 wheel will work for your template wheel. i drilled mine on the car but it would be better to take the hub off and drill it off the car, they are not hard to remove.

BTW! you will need a BFG to modify your wheel wells to keep them from hitting when you turn and probably have to cut your fender wells. a lift on your rig will help reduce this modification some.

BUT! if these are 16" wheels they may not fit on your car without low profile tires.

:( I owned those wheels once (not as clean but same type). They were going to go on the brat but alas, no bueno. I came to the conclusion with mine that drilling the wheels wasn't going to be the best method and was preparing for a 6 lug conversion as well.

Well shoot, looks like I'll be going 6-lug then. I know the fronts are easy; pull off the castle nut and unbolt the 4 bolts on the hub and it's off, but how do I remove the rear drum (or part where I'll be drilling)? I won't have to mess with anything breaking-wise, will I?

And how did you guys go at this? Get a crummy wheel, mark my 6x5.5 (I think) and drill through with what size bits?

I'm defiantly going to convert my hubs to 6-lug. I had an extra front hub laying around that I've already finished. But I used the old studs I pounded out, they didn't look bad, so I figured why not.

those wheels require funky lug nuts. they have a flat washer on them. Unless you can find lugs that fit the subaru thread pitch (12x1.25) then you can't really use those wheels with the studs you're using. The toyota lugs use a 12x1.5 thread pitch so you can't use them on your suby studs.

i have seen these wheels on a subaru. person went 6-lug... these wheels are very common and cheap so lots of spares and stuff kicking around...

those wheels require funky lug nuts. they have a flat washer on them. Unless you can find lugs that fit the subaru thread pitch (12x1.25) then you can't really use those wheels with the studs you're using. The toyota lugs use a 12x1.5 thread pitch so you can't use them on your suby studs.

i have seen these wheels on a subaru. person went 6-lug... these wheels are very common and cheap so lots of spares and stuff kicking around...

Can't I use my Subaru lugs with a washer? Or just use the Toyota studs with the proper lug nuts?

I'm defiantly going to convert my hubs to 6-lug. I had an extra front hub laying around that I've already finished. But I used the old studs I pounded out, they didn't look bad, so I figured why not.

Can't I use my Subaru lugs with a washer? Or just use the Toyota studs with the proper lug nuts?

you can't use the stock lugs with a washer (properly at least). The lug centers the wheel with a part of the lug that is in front of the washer... it's kinda hard to explain but if you have a look at one then it's obvious.

You can use toyota studs and lugs no problem. Lots of cars actually use that thread pitch for studs so there is lots of options for studs. honda, toyota, mitsubishi, etc etc all used the same thread pitch. Length and shank size is for you to determine. a parts store should have a good selection of studs to choose from.

the lugs are really rather specific to that style of toyota alloy wheel. and those lugs don't come cheap (OEM ones at least... haven't seen aftermarket ones that truely work yet) so if you can try to snag the lugs with the wheels when you buy them.

you can't use the stock lugs with a washer (properly at least). The lug centers the wheel with a part of the lug that is in front of the washer... it's kinda hard to explain but if you have a look at one then it's obvious.

You can use toyota studs and lugs no problem. Lots of cars actually use that thread pitch for studs so there is lots of options for studs. honda, toyota, mitsubishi, etc etc all used the same thread pitch. Length and shank size is for you to determine. a parts store should have a good selection of studs to choose from.

the lugs are really rather specific to that style of toyota alloy wheel. and those lugs don't come cheap (OEM ones at least... haven't seen aftermarket ones that truely work yet) so if you can try to snag the lugs with the wheels when you buy them.

Hmm, but if I do go to the Toyota studs and lugs, I will still need to find those specific lugs, which could be tough.

I'm really dead set on using these wheels because they were given to me for free (they were leftovers from another car, so they don't have the lugs), and I've already got tires coming for them. So I'd like to make them work without having to dump a bunch of money into them.

So, what would be the best thing to do?

let me look at home.i know i have some lug nuts from a toyota.cheers, brain

Zefy made it sound like I could only use lug nuts specific to those wheels (the car would be a 2nd gen 4runner sr5). Because, if it's any Toyota lugs, that shouldn't be an issue.

Zefy made it sound like I could only use lug nuts specific to those wheels (the car would be a 2nd gen 4runner sr5). Because, if it's any Toyota lugs, that shouldn't be an issue.

lugs are not THAT hard to find. i may have made it seem like a difficult task to get them. it isn't... those wheels have been used since the early 80's all the way to mid 90's. Hop onto pirate 4x4 or whatever the local wheelin' club is near you and find somebody with a toyota that got built. If they are using 15x8 wheels for their big tires, there is sure to be a set of toyota lug nuts kicking around.

everybody that builds toyotas won't be use those wheels and lugs...

I think I got the right ones. I have yet to try them, but all the measurements are spot on. Here's the ones I bought:

qssgmq.jpg

I opted for the longer head as compared to the shorter one, because I don't know what my stud set-up will be like.

So now for another question; Toyota studs. Like a Subaru stud, do they have a "head" at the end? And how difficult is it doing 6-lug with Toyota studs? Any information would be great.