Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Crowfoot wrench for inner tie rod end?

Would this work? I saw something on youtube about it, but couldn't find the right sized one. Spent half a day grinding a piece of metal to resemble the right size crowfoot wrench, but it didn't work, just kept on slipping. I'm thinking of ordering it online, but it will end up costing me around $20 including shipping. I need two of these because the tie rod end I bought (Beck-Arnley) is different from the one in the car, width differs by about 1/4 inch.

Also tried autozone tool loan, but the one they have doesn't work for Subaru. Any other chain stores that might have the right tool for loan?

Did you try turning the steering wheel to move the end into a more easily accessible position?

No.... <now feeling kinda stupid> would that work on 98 OBW? I actually have a regular open end wrench that would fit... could I just tighten the new tie rod end with that, or do I have to torque it?

Edited by Kwhistle

No.... <now feeling kinda stupid> would that work on 98 OBW? I actually have a regular open end wrench that would fit... could I just tighten the new tie rod end with that, or do I have to torque it?

Well it does need a fair amount of torque to keep it from loosening up later on. If the wrench is big enough to fit the flats of the ball joint you should be able to tighten it sufficiently. You can always use a cheater pipe too if you need some extra leverage. The problem is always that when it starts to tighten up, the flats are not in a position that can be reached by a regular open end wrench. That's where the channel locks or pipe wrench comes in handy.